How To Record And Mix Backing Vocals

=Angelo=

So i just put a post up on my blog about the process of recording and mixing vocals.

It got me thinking about how all you guys on FP record your background vocals.

To me, it's a process of pure experimentation. When i mix drums for example, i have tried and tested methods i rely on again and again, but when it comes to background vocals, i love to dig out those exotic plugins for those super smooth, lush backdrops.

And how about rappers. What processing do you like on the doubles and ad-libs? Do you ever go wild?

So chime in an let the rest of us know your recording secrets!

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I've never recorded any rap stuff, but I've done some backing vocal stuff on other genres before.
Like you said it's all experimentation. I like mixing backings when there's a lot of harmonies involved, like Imogen Heap's stuff or that girl from the Bird & the Bee. With that style i like to use a lot of panning and effects, such as chorus and delay, just to give it that bit of sweetness when the backings come in.
It really does depend on the context though. I wouldn't normally do that for rock stuff, maybe just some reverb and a small bit of delay and panning.

Ye with rap its a totally diffrent scenario. Im usually keeping things fairly straight. I like to cut alot of the lows out of rap backing vocals, so they are allowing plenty of room for the lead to stand loud and proud. Its all about vocal presence.

In rap im mainly dealing with doubling various parts or phrasing, so there isnt much need to go crazy with effects, just spread out a little, perhaps a touch of delay, EQ out lows, and try and bring out a diff texture. Compression is very imortant imo on vocals, to get a nice consistant and upfront sound.

Since I'm just working with a home studio to record my self a few other kids, I mostly just mix rap / R&B stuff.
Like most of you said, I keep the background vocals pretty straight when it comes to rap, usually add a delay depending on the song.
As far as R&B stuff goes, obv it depends on the song, but if its a kinda trancey, smooth, spacey feelin song, its cool to add reverb and a phaser and pan stuff wierd to give it a real deep spacey feel.
And I know from other studio experiance, some engineers will use Vocalign to match up the background vocals juuussst right

Back