How to prevent recording noise from computer fan?

SoundHustle

This is a question for guys who record in a room at thier home. I'm starting to setup for recording and my method is using a fast track pro with my buddy's mic which is a fairly high end one, just don't know what brand.

But my desktop's a fairly high end one and it's got one of those cooling fans on the side of the case. It's actually not that loud but i DEFINETLY think it will get picked by a mic, especially with the proximity of it to my fast track pro. The rest of my room is pretty silent.

Assuming i don't have a recording booth set up or sound proofing/treatment in my room, is there anyway i can void picking up this specific noise. I know you all get desktops or laptops so what do ya'll do. My room's good sized and spacious if that helps.

you could try covering the pc with a heavy duvet while you record but remember to take it off immediately when youre done to avoid overheating. also try getting a long mic cable and move as far away from the pc as possible.

you have many choices,
1. move pc out of the room
2. address noise issue in pc
3. get dynamic mic and forget about problems
I spent a vast amount of time (about 10 years ago) struggling with computer noise,
I was very picky about it, changed all fans for PAPST (expensive but noiseless), here are some info and photo:
Redirect Notice
now, it's not only about picking noise when recording, but mostly about having it super quiet, so it does not irritates you when working with music,
I can hear a fan in my laptop laying 2 meters behind me, when I work:),
my pc is dead quiet,
it wasn't very cheap, but it does the job

you have many choices,
1. move pc out of the room
2. address noise issue in pc
3. get dynamic mic and forget about problems
I spent a vast amount of time (about 10 years ago) struggling with computer noise,
I was very picky about it, changed all fans for PAPST (expensive but noiseless), here are some info and photo:
Redirect Notice
now, it's not only about picking noise when recording, but mostly about having it super quiet, so it does not irritates you when working with music,
I can hear a fan in my laptop laying 2 meters behind me, when I work:),
my pc is dead quiet,
it wasn't very cheap, but it does the job

What cooling systems do you use if you don't mind me asking?

all passive, just fans and radiators (hd drives are mounted on radiator),
all fans made by papst, vga - fanless, cpu - don't remember, 'kamikaze' or sth.
cabling inside the box and air flow are crucial,
good luck

Last edited:
Why not get a fan controller and then you can turn it off manual while you are recording?

Buy a mac lol.

Considering that Macs are the noisiest computers I've ever heard, I think that's a horrible idea.

Back in the day I had a little 5x10 room that I recorded in and my rather loud PC was in there. It's not that difficult to avoid the noise.

First, position your mic off-axis from the computer. Simple enough. That will cut out a lot of noise.

Second, simply putting some absorption around your computer with a little space (and not blocking the fan of course) will work wonders. Just get some small mdf boards, or plywood, and glue/staple/tack some absorptive material to them essentially making tiny absoprive gobos.

Cheap and effective.

Use a gate. Challenge Accepted!

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Would you mind explaining how macs are loud in anyway? Are you labeling Macs in general whether towers or laptops? Im curious.

Why not get a fan controller and then you can turn it off manual while you are recording?

you could get pc very hot, and then pc will restart when temp over 65 or 70 degrees (Celsius)
important outcome of pc quietening is that pc gets hotter,,,,
so you need to balance those things and also control them to avoid restarting system during recording it could end with nasty
buzzz from powered monitors.....

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

resolve issue with computer, move it away, damp it down, record in other room...
or yu can just apply a noise gate Plug in..

lower the Gain on the FTP

bad idea
always aim for the best sound when tracking,
don't leave it for later,
or 'we can fix it in the mix'...

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

ditto,
older mac used to be called a simply hoover:)
were crazy loud!
I remember engineer complaining he couldn't mix in a quit big control room in pro studio
it was literally like starting jet:)
still my mates run new apples, and I just laugh when I came see them and hear that whining noise,
my pc is noiseless
Considering that Macs are the noisiest computers I've ever heard, I think that's a horrible idea.

Back in the day I had a little 5x10 room that I recorded in and my rather loud PC was in there. It's not that difficult to avoid the noise.

First, position your mic off-axis from the computer. Simple enough. That will cut out a lot of noise.

Second, simply putting some absorption around your computer with a little space (and not blocking the fan of course) will work wonders. Just get some small mdf boards, or plywood, and glue/staple/tack some absorptive material to them essentially making tiny absoprive gobos.
second this idea
, that will do, a bit of diy/home made absorption will help,
pc noise is rather high freq, so you don't need tons of rockwool

Cheap and effective.

Last edited:
if you know how to use a compressor, set it up as a gate. If you don't know how I am sure youtube has a video that will show you how, but definitely move as far away from the machine as possible.

or yu can just apply a noise gate Plug in..

Use a gate.

Says the people who obviously have no idea what a "noise gate" does...

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

if you know how to use a compressor, set it up as a gate. If you don't know how I am sure youtube has a video that will show you how, but definitely move as far away from the machine as possible.

Although "compressors" and "gates" are often paired together, they are two different things. You can't "set a compressor up as a gate"...

...not that a "gate" will solve this problem at all.

The only way a "gate" will help is if you build a physical "gate" that locks your computer in a different room! (meaning that you build a whole room around the computer with a bug heavy solid wood gatethat you have to walk through to get into the room!)

Get the longest chord possible and put your computer at the other end of the room. Also if you have a closet you can create your own sort of iso booth by using blankets and such.

Get the longest chord possible and put your computer at the other end of the room. Also if you have a closet you can create your own sort of iso booth by using blankets and such.

And put the computer in the closet... Do not sing in the closet.

Move pc out of the room recording
buy quiet pc
buy mac
record in another room

Back