How to pitch down a sample?

kim&jessie

death to our friends
Usually I don't have trouble with this, but with this particular sample I can't seem to be able to do it. I usually do this in Audacity because it seems to be the simplest way to do it, as in I have no idea to do it in Logic, and believe me I've tried. :/

Here's the sample in question, it's from Fantasy by The XX:
Vocaroo | Voice message

And here's how I want to pitch and arrange it:
Vocaroo | Voice message

I'm hoping you can kind of envision what I mean, as in envision the sample as it is how I want to pitch it. Am I making sense? I was planning on adding an acoustic flourish to the beginning of each little section, just to enhance it. The song I'm trying to make is just like really sparse and based around that sample. But yeah, I just can't seem to be able to pitch it to my liking in Audacity? Can someone please help me with this? If so, thank you :~)

Usually I don't have trouble with this, but with this particular sample I can't seem to be able to do it. I usually do this in Audacity because it seems to be the simplest way to do it, as in I have no idea to do it in Logic, and believe me I've tried. :/

Here's the sample in question, it's from Fantasy by The XX:
Vocaroo | Voice message

And here's how I want to pitch and arrange it:
Vocaroo | Voice message

I'm hoping you can kind of envision what I mean, as in envision the sample as it is how I want to pitch it. Am I making sense? I was planning on adding an acoustic flourish to the beginning of each little section, just to enhance it. The song I'm trying to make is just like really sparse and based around that sample. But yeah, I just can't seem to be able to pitch it to my liking in Audacity? Can someone please help me with this? If so, thank you :~)

Open Logic....

Open EXS24 Sampler...

Click Edit....

New Instrument

Load the .Wav file into the audio bar.... You can now play that sample in any pitch you like, via your midi keyboard, or hit caps lock and use your typing keyboard...

hey dude, i don't use logic so apologies if my reply is a bit unclear.

but what synapsis said - load it into the sampler, play it back in whatever pitch you want it to be.

Then record it at it's slowed down tempo, print the sample to audio and timestretch it back to whatever tempo you wanted it to be at in the first place. As synapsis said, it always adds artifacts but for the most part unless you're doing something really drastic you should still get a decent sound out at the end.

hey dude, i don't use logic so apologies if my reply is a bit unclear.

but what synapsis said - load it into the sampler, play it back in whatever pitch you want it to be.

Then record it at it's slowed down tempo, print the sample to audio and timestretch it back to whatever tempo you wanted it to be at in the first place. As synapsis said, it always adds artifacts but for the most part unless you're doing something really drastic you should still get a decent sound out at the end.

There may be samplers that preserve the tempo and 'stretch' the sample... as to get the desired result... though otherwise, adobe audition has an in built time stretch pitch preserver... though it does munt the sound at the end.. maybe there is a sample that you don't need to pitch down/up that could get you the desired result without the ripples in the audio...

mhmm.. It's odd that this process is so easy in FL/ableton, but the sample quality seems to degrade as a result... Pros of logic I guess...
Hope you found a solution!

Why don't you just go to PITCH SHIFTER in Logic , not PITCH CORRECTION that's the autotune for LOGIC.

Move those two channels to taste and you wont lose anything

Last edited:
In Cubase it's easily done in less than one minute and without audible artifacts and maintaining the length/tempo, just saying. :)

Last edited:
Back