How much headroom do u leave for vocals when mixing an instrumental?

ANCHOR

Hie guys i want to know how much headroom do u leave for vocals when mixing an instrumental? I use FL for beat making & Reaper for vocal recording. I record my vocals @ -15db peak level. Should my instrumental peak also @ -15db??? Help!

no right or wrong answer but lots of wisdom suggests that you do not record your vocal against a premixed instrumental and leave it at that -

i.e. your vocals should be recorded against a rough mix, but then you import the vocal track into the mix project and mix the whole project, individual tracks and all, so that the vocals are part of the mix not added as an afterthought....

I make a beat in Fl,mix it there then import it into Reaper for vocal recording! I wish i had enough cash to purchase a Daw where u can do everything in there...

Fl does record vocals but not that perfect as Daws like Reaper or Cubase does it. I kinda hate the sound it produce when it comes to vocal recording. Anyway u havent yet answered my question guys...lol

no right or wrong answer but lots of wisdom suggests that you do not record your vocal against a premixed instrumental and leave it at that -

i.e. your vocals should be recorded against a rough mix, but then you import the vocal track into the mix project and mix the whole project, individual tracks and all, so that the vocals are part of the mix not added as an afterthought....

That was the answer, and furthermore

I make a beat in Fl,mix it there then import it into Reaper for vocal recording! I wish i had enough cash to purchase a Daw where u can do everything in there...

You can do all of that in FL. FL is a DAW.

And DAW's don't have specific sounds to their vocal recordings, unless you have plugins going on (and even then, that should just alter the signal after, unless you have it specifically set up on an aux to color your signal as it goes into the DAW)

FL Shouldn't be coloring your sound at all (Fruity limiter is on by default, so maybe that's what you're hearing).

Thanx for the advices guys! But i should admit that Reaper does it perfect for me when it comes to vocal recording & am very used to its workflow. Anyway i will give it a try recording vocals in Fl but uuuuuuuuummmmm just cant dumb my Reaper lyk that...lol

Back