How to make vocals louder on fl studio without distorting them ?

One of the most overlooked tips I can give you is to turn everything else down rather than trying to turn the VOX up. I know it's not first instinct but it's good practice.

Depending on what sound you're going for, a little bit of reverb tends to make the track sound bigger. That may help as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am looking to mix/master people's stuff for free for practice :D

The easiest/best way to do it is like this.

Obviously make sure before you start recording that your voice is not going over 0 db.

What I actually do is like a 3 step process, I raise the volume then lower it then raise it again :D

This is what I mean by that.

First you record your vocals

Then send each vocal to a channel on the mixer so you can add effects for each vocal

I am only explaining the volume part since you are just want to know about volume....

Open up Fruity Limiter on EACH vocal. Raise the gain until the highest sound wave peek is just about to nip the green line at 0db.

Do this for all of your vocals to make sure your vocals are loud.

Now turn all the volume knobs on the mixer channels down besides the master channel. (oh make sure you have fruity limiter removed from the master channel because my Fl Studio opens up with it activated and I forget about it).

I am talking about the STRAIT UP AND DOWN volume knobs on the mixer, turn down the vocal channels all the way down.

Take the beat you are using and raise the volume or lower it to about -6 or lower db depending on how many vocals you have. The more vocals you have the lower you have to have your beat because your vocals will raise the volume if you have to many. If you only have a few vocals then just put the beat around -6 db or lower. It doesn't really matter just make sure its not close to 0db.

Now take each vocal one at a time and raise the UP AND DOWN mixer volume knobs until your vocals sound like they are mixed into the beat, but make sure nothing is going above 0db. If you have more voices to raise and your volume is getting near 0db then lower the beat further and restart the steps I just said.

After you have the beat and vocal volumes right you are almost done

Then go on the master channel and add a Fruity Limiter, simply raise the gain until the highest wave peek is just barley nipping 0db.

And its as simple as that..... your song should be pretty loud now.

Basically what you are doing is this

You start off by adding a limiter to all your vocals to increase the volume to the highest you can without clipping
The reason you do this is because you have to lower the volume of everything to make sure nothing reaches 0db, and if you were to lower the volume without doing this first, you would have a hard time hearing everything you are trying to mix since it would be at a lower volume, plus its just overall lower volume.

Then after you get your vocals and beat mixed right with the correct volume you raise the entire song with the master channel to make sure everything is as loud as it can get without clipping.

Pretty simple

Of course you have to do way more shit than this but you just said how to increase volume and thats the easiest way.

SORRY

I just realized you also said "clear voice", if you want a clear voice you will also have to add a EQ to each vocal channel and raise the high ends aka the right side of the EQ which will make your voice "Clear".

Its called Parametric EQ 2

The only problem is this

Your vocals will sound clearer but when you say words that have a "S" sound, the "SSSSSS" will be loud in your ears, so you will need to download a program to take off those SSSSSSS sounds.

Check youtube for a "Desser"

That is just about how to make something LOUD and CLEAR, but to have everything EVEN and SOUND good is a entire different story.

Last edited:
Not sure how professionals do it but I have a habit of literally just moving the one dot that completely wipes a frequency out till it hits near the middle of the graph. Some daws have EQ dots that when moved literally wipe out the whole thing while the regular dots work the regular way.

One of the most overlooked tips I can give you is to turn everything else down rather than trying to turn the VOX up. I know it's not first instinct but it's good practice.

So good to see that the first piece of advice given to OP was the most useful.

I'll +1000000 this!

I just started mixing and recording and I was wondering if theirs any tips on how to make your vocals clear and loud on fl studio

1) Record well (good takes) - make the singer exercise before the actual take - his voice would shine without processors
2) Record using a mic that sounds as good as it can.
3) Use an EQ and sweep through the spectrum - cut the annoying frequencies, boost the flattering ones - you don't have to exaggerate 2-3db boosts or cuts can work , but it depends on the take
4) Compress and add some reverb or delay matched to the tempo of the song.
5) Remove some high end from the delay/reverb so you can blend it better.

Some ideas, not a "holy" chain to follow blindly, but used most of the time

Back