How to make 808's hit clean.. no rattle

ucheeeco

How would u approach eq'ing an 808/bass so that it hits cleaner with less rattle..

what i mean is, sometimes when your bumping in your car and some songs make you bass rattle ALOT and some hit cleaner but with the same intensity..

obviously sometimes its just a matter of choice of 808

The rattle is happening on just your car speakers? The trick is to make sure you have accurate reference when mixing. Also, using too much bus compression can cause the bass to be less clean sounding. Ill use parallell compression in subgroups (drums, vocals, synths) to achieve a louder sounding mix (this doesn't necessarily new the mix itself has a very high rms value) often times I will leave the 808 hits out of the sub group and send it straight to the stereo bus to maintain the original dynamics. At that point i might add a stereo bus comp to glue the mix together a little but the amount of compression will be pretty conservative. Often times just 1 or 2 db of reduction

Carefully high pass filter the 808. If you do it too much you will lose all of the bump from the 808 but if used correctly it can sound very clean. Also make sure to layer regular kicks with the 808 to give the sound some body so it doesn't sound weak after using the filter.

How would u approach eq'ing an 808/bass so that it hits cleaner with less rattle..

what i mean is, sometimes when your bumping in your car and some songs make you bass rattle ALOT and some hit cleaner but with the same intensity..

obviously sometimes its just a matter of choice of 808

Can't tell you how to EQ without hearing the problematic sound...

Use better sound selection

Back