how loud should vocals be?

jjm1365

how do you guys decide how loud you want your vocals over your beats? is it done by ear because thats what i have been doing. I didnt know if anyone had techniques they used for this process. I use pro tools SE. if you get the chance listen to this song and tell me if you think the vocals should have been higher or lower. KST Wolfe Pact - Worst Comes to Worst (remix) - YouTube

Depends on what king of durms , instruments you have there. First of all you need a space for the vocal. Don't worry about db. You will hear it.

There isn't a set number because each song is different. Like the previous posts say, dont burry them and it depends on the music. You have to find that relationship between the music and vocals; its give and take.

EQ'ing will also help your voice stand out by cutting unwanted frequencies and boosting slightly to taste. Compression will control dynamics so you can use it lightly or heavily, this all depends on the song and how YOU want it to sound. Reverb will push it back into the mix but if you EQ and mix it properly it wont sound drowned.

Start with vocal peaking at 0db, Kick at 0db, Snare at -3db, Bass at -6db, and everything else will start to fall in place.

Back