How to gain stage your mic pre and interface

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
This is a quick run down of setting up your mic and mic pre to properly work with your interface to get the highest quality and best recording. I'm posting this because I see so many problems with this.

If you are using Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper or FL Studio to record vocals first go here and download PSP vintage meter. There is even a AU version for mac.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/vmeter.html

If you are using ProTools then you can use the stock BF Meter Bridge.

Now load up your recording software and create a new audio track to record to. Make sure the gain on your mic pre is turned all the way down. (Remember that if you are using an external mic pre that the output needs to go to line in of the audio interface and not the mic input.)

Next make sure that the fader for your channel for recording vocals is at 0db. Now load the PSP Vintage Meter in the first slot. (BF Meter Bridge if using ProTools). Now click on the PSP logo on the plug-in to view the back. Make sure you change the 0vu refer level to -18dbFS. Now click the label to view the front again and make sure that the meter is on VU with the switch in the middle.

(for protools make sure the meter is set with the -18db button pressed in and the switch on peak)

Now while doing a mic check raise the gain knob of the mic pre until the PSP vintage meter reads close to 0db but never over. (BF Meter Bridge for ProTools) Leave it there for your vocal recording. If you change vocalist adjust the gain on the mic pre until you get the same signal in the meter. Enjoy clean vocals. If using a compressor make sure it's bypassed for this tutorial.

(Remember that if you are using an external mic pre that the output needs to go to line in of the audio interface and not the mic input.)

Why? I have mine going into the mic input. Should I change this? Never heard of doing this before. I just always assumed it would sound better through the xlrs.

Why? I have mine going into the mic input. Should I change this? Never heard of doing this before. I just always assumed it would sound better through the xlrs.

Some interfaces are made to handle this. Some are not. A mic pre is used to boost a mic signal to line level. Then once it's line level is ready for recording. So you don't want to boost a line level signal with a mic pre. If this is the only option for your interface then you need to have the mic pre at nominal meaning there is no signal boosting going on from the mic pre. Usually with the gain knob turned all the way down. But you should go from the line out of your mic pre to the line in on your interface to avoid any problems.

Some interfaces are made to handle this. Some are not. A mic pre is used to boost a mic signal to line level. Then once it's line level is ready for recording. So you don't want to boost a line level signal with a mic pre. If this is the only option for your interface then you need to have the mic pre at nominal meaning there is no signal boosting going on from the mic pre. Usually with the gain knob turned all the way down. But you should go from the line out of your mic pre to the line in on your interface to avoid any problems.

wow, thanks man. Yeah, I haven't done it yet, but I will for sure. This should help make recordings cleaner? I've been getting pretty clean vocals lately, but they can always improve.

Why should i get the psp VU meter? I mean what is the difference between using that and the meters on the daw channels? Are VU metering more accurate or?

Why should i get the psp VU meter? I mean what is the difference between using that and the meters on the daw channels? Are VU metering more accurate or?

The meters on the DAW channels are not Vu meters. They are FS (full scale) meters. This is the reason I posted this. Because if you don't know the difference then you are clipping your converters and getting a distorted sound instead of clean signal with good headroom.

If you use the meter on your DAW when setting your recording levels you have been clipping for about 18dbFS already.

Can I get this sticky-ed???

Last edited:
The meters on the DAW channels are not Vu meters. They are FS (full scale) meters. This is the reason I posted this. Because if you don't know the difference then you are clipping your converters and getting a distorted sound instead of clean signal with good headroom.

If you use the meter on your DAW when setting your recording levels you have been clipping for about 18dbFS already.

this should be sticky-ed!!

So, question... WHY do the DAW's use FS meters if they don't indicate properly when clipping occurs?

Hey Morning Star,

when are you gonna make that post about recording over mainstream beats?

Soon. It's going to be a video tutorial. I'm working on setting it up right now. But it's gonna take a minute to get the track recorded for the tutorial.

so should i insert a vu meter on every track? Cus ur kind of making it sound like i cant mix without vu meters.haha

so should i insert a vu meter on every track? Cus ur kind of making it sound like i cant mix without vu meters.haha

The meter is for gain staging. Not mixing. You can get rid of it once you have your recording level set.

Back