How Does Vybe, Johnny Juliano, Superstar O Get There Mixes Soooooo Crisp?....

Beatz R Us

ive been working on my mix for about 2 years now and i still cant get them as crisp as those guys....are they using hardware compressors and eqs or somethin?...it cant be ALL software, can it?....

I'd be very surprised if it was much beyond included FX in FL or whatever they're using. Doesn't take much for a "crisp" mix. Easier to mess it up by overdoing.

they have to be using more than just FL for the mix....i know how to use eqs, compression, etc...but their overall sound quality and mix is just so crisp...maybe they're rewiring to protools or something

wouldn't make much difference. The answer is you've only been doing it for 2 years. Or, that they're tracks are ultimately mixed by a mixing engineer. Actually, I'm going to say it's both.

15h1utf.jpg

Like this.

THIS! This is also how they do those pitch bends and crazy stops also. This dude is the magic behind team hitz.

LeprechaunSurfingInternet.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been doing it longer than 2 years....10+ years...but i just got serious about my mixing in the past few years

Since they do it everyday, they know which sounds goes together. They choose sounds that wouldn't clash with each other.

EQ, Panning, Compressing, and having a good ear can make your tracks sound crisp.

But seriously.....it has a lot to do with frequencies, spacing, proper sounds and proper use of fxs. You can get a clean mix ITB. DAW's (some will disagree) now-a-days has little to do with over-all sound because all of them are about at the same level of quality now, unlike years ago where Pro Tools sounded better than the others out there. I think you can get a decent mix out of any DAW if you know what you are doing IMHO.

To the OP, not sure what production software you're using, but I've found that rewiring Reason into Pro-tools makes a remarkable difference in the output quality. I've had somewhat the same results with FL as well. One of the best tips for Producer's to help with a mix is improving sound selection. Study your favorite producers and what sounds they use. Some sounds are good in the background, some good at the forefront. Some snare's sound good alone, some stack awesomely together. Choosing sounds that work well together will get you a good percentage of the way there. After that it's just seasoning to taste with eq's, compression, etc.

I'd say the number one reason is that they have a proper monitoring system: They actually hear it when it is right. Forget all the fancy gear and golden ears bullsh!t. The main quality factor is the monitoring system. Hard to produce any "quality" without actually hearing what "quality" is.

i'd say the number one reason is that they have a proper monitoring system: They actually hear it when it is right. Forget all the fancy gear and golden ears bullsh!t. The main quality factor is the monitoring system. Hard to produce any "quality" without actually hearing what "quality" is.
co-sign!

thanks for all the feedback...makes alot of sense....but ive been having alot of people telling me that the sound engine in FL sucks, so thats why it sounds bad when u export from there...is that true at all?..

thanks for all the feedback...makes alot of sense....but ive been having alot of people telling me that the sound engine in FL sucks, so thats why it sounds bad when u export from there...is that true at all?..

no, definitely not. FL offers tons of options, that confuses most people. But the "sound-engine" (whatever you mean with this) is more or less the same for all DAWs. Don't worry about such rumors.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

THIS! This is also how they do those pitch bends and crazy stops also. This dude is the magic behind team hitz.

LeprechaunSurfingInternet.gif

Lol! And I thought he works exclusively with an SP1200....

The sound engine is the same. The exporting functions, last I checked, are not. However, go get pro tools. I'm going to stick with my original statement - that the tracks you hear are passed through a designated mixing engineer who has been serious about mixing for much longer than 2 years.

no, definitely not. FL offers tons of options, that confuses most people. But the "sound-engine" (whatever you mean with this) is more or less the same for all DAWs. Don't worry about such rumors.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Lol! And I thought he works exclusively with an SP1200....

He did but he needed more than a 10 second sample time so he went to a computer set-up. He still reps by wear his E-MU t-shirt on the weekends.

Back