how do you record a mix to pc?

K

krisis

How do you record a dj mix from a turntable setup to your pc so you can then burn it to cd, what kind of hardware/software would you need? Peace

-mini to twin audio cord

-from the outs on your mixer to the 'line in' on the soundcard of your computer

-any recording software. For freebeez go here

-record in 44.1kHz / 16-bit / stereo format

-some cd burning prog

-cd burner

if you want more info, lemme know:hello:

Hey popd, good advice. I have a question to that though. I am unfamiliar with the "twin" cable.

My setup is as follows.
DJ Setup [ includes TT & Mixer ] > Receiver/Amp [ line out, stereo ] > Single channel cable > Line In [ Video Card / Sound Blaster ].

I have successfully recorded sound...however, it really is not a good quality sound. Very muted, hollow, too much bass. However, when I am recording, it sounds great from the speakers. Any ideas / thoughts? My receiver is EXTREMELY old. 80 Lb. Panasonic Reciever, circa 1975

Can you talk a little bit about the proper cables you need?

-ideally your setup would look like this:

-ttz to mixer

-on mixer you would send the 'master' or 'main' out to the amp/speakers. Here u would be using RCA cables (red and white/black), and this is what you will monitor off.

-depending on the mixer, there should be a second channel out: 'record' 'aux' or 'booth'. This one you would record off, by sending from the rca outs, using the mini-to-twin adapter ('splanation = 6 foot chord with rca's on one end, and mini-stereo plug on other) into the line in on the sound card.

-if you do it this way, you are shortening the path from the mixer to the hard drive which might eliminate the crappy recorded sounds, but this is fully dependent on your mixer. What are you using to record?

PopD,

Sorry, I was confused by your last reply. So your saying this should be the best setup:

Turntables to mixer, Mixer to Sound card (The "Booth" or "AUX" on the Mixer to the "Line-In" on the soundcard).

Correct me if im wrong. Thanks.

-Johnny Plastik

-good thing I sit on my fat asss in front of a work station all day at work. this explains my turnaround time for answers, heh heh heh

-yeah, one of the outs on your mixer goes to your stereo / amp --> speakers

-and the other out goes straight to the sound card via one of the mini-to-twin thingies

-BUT you mixer must have two separate outs, so 'booth' 'record' or 'aux' goes to the computer, and 'master' or 'main' goes to the stereo.

"good thing I sit on my fat asss in front of a work station all day at work"

Me Too!

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I have a Roland DJ-1000, and it does contain master and booth. I have just been going from the amp instead of from the mixer.

I mostly use the Soundblaster software to record. I have also tried SoundForge, but, it didn't do much better.

Thanks for the tips.

Any tips for good recording software?

Last edited by a moderator:
-for recording I use SF or Wavelab. I like WL cuz it's smoother, but I haven't done a side by side comparison. I'm sure there is little difference

-when u setup a session, don't just hit record and go widdit. Mess around with your system mixer and adjust the levels.

-Not sure if this makes a difference, but I usually mute the 'line in' on the volume control so my soundcard is not playing anything back. In either prog, click on the 'monitor' box and adjust your volumes in the mixer (along with the vols on the system mixer) to ensure that there is no clipping during the loudest part of the record.

-I have a numark em-460 and the 'record' out does not respond to the master volume slider, only the channel slider, which is better, imo, cuz if you want to crank it up to hear it better, using the master volume won't phuk up the recording.

-let me know if you don't know what the 'system mixer' is (pc's only)

Hay YO! I splain it here

Last edited:
Crap.

I checked my Vestax 270a Mixer last night and I don't have a "Booth" or "Record", I so however have a "Send" and "Return". My buddy told me that the "Send" can be used as an "AUX". So If this is true, then I should be able to use "Send" to my "Line-in" on my PC.

Correct me if my dumb *** is wrong. :)

jack triumph, you use the SoundBlaster software to record? Does it sound ok or is it like low and hollow? Do you have the same set up as I do? (Tables -> Mixer -> Stereo -> PC)
Maybe I should try a different setup.

-Johnny Plastik

Hey Johhny,

Yeah Soundblaster "did" suck.

But, I also, got home last night and re-worked my wiring. I know have line out from booth, going into my soundblaster card....IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL. Although, due to soundcard problems, I only record to one channel, so I take it into SoundFORGE and cut n paste to both channels, no problems.

I am so happy, I can record every set every time no problems.

Yes, it was unfixably hollow and low when I was running from the amp. Hey if you are interested in getting a mixer with booth and master, check eBay. I currently have a Roland DJ 1000, which I decided to buy from onlinedj.com [futureproducers.com] reader's opinions. But, even better if you want bragging rights, is that I saw a Roland DJ 2000 on eBay for less than 400, retails at about 1100.

I couldn't ask for a better mixer. Well, I could, but, I don't think anyone would listen. :hello:

Thanks POP!

jack triumph said:
. . .Although, due to soundcard problems, I only record to one channel, so I take it into SoundFORGE and cut n paste to both channels, no problems.
. . .Thanks POP!
u betcha, but. . .it sounds like you are recording mono, and converting to stereo, which is not a true stereo recording, i.e. it would not reflect any panning fx in the track or in the mix. Can you explain your "soundcard problems" that cause you to record in mono? . . .or have I completely misunderstood you?:confused:

oh yeah, why don't you just record it in SoundForge, rather than importing it?

Last edited:
i use n track software .....

and on your recording propersties ....\
only click on line in thats it
then adjust da volume ..
it should be fine ..

Back