How do you make your vocals sound less dull?

Lil Wire

I've made two tracks so far, one of which is a cover, and both times I've had feedback saying that I sound
bored or uninterested. I'm really passionate about making music, and it's anything but boring to me. So this kinda
confuses me. Anyone know how to make my vocals not sound bored and dull?

(You can hear my tracks through the soundcloud link in my signature, thanks)

Hey man, my suggestion would be to really listen to successful artists that inspire you and study what makes their vocals interesting and replicate that. With any luck, after a while you’ll begin to come up with your own sound that may be interesting to some people. Good luck!

I think there's a lot of little mixing things that you can do that will help but I really think the bulk of it comes down to your flow and delivery. Some big things to consider are tone and enunciation. Is your voice going to go up or down at the end of the line? Are you going to emphasize each syllable really clearly or are you going for more of a mumble rap thing? Make sure you don't rush through faster parts or become quieter on the difficult sections. If there's going to be a change in overall volume/presence of your voice, make sure it's intentional and not on accident. Really listen and be hyper-critical of each part. Your voice is your instrument, and the way you play the notes is just as important as the notes themselves (if not more). Hope that helps a little bit.

+1 The Funk Junkie.

Also, I think you should add some background vocals, and an “ad lib” backing track to keep it interesting and engaging. It could be just simple short phrases accentuating the main vocal. Check out pretty much any Hip Hop track and pay attention to the vocal to hear what i’m talking about. Hope it helps!

Back