Thread: How do you make your mix louder?

Thanks

How do you make your mix louder?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey, guys. I quickly wanted to ask you how do you make your final mixes sound louder in the mastering process?

From my personal experience, there always seems to be a bit of difference between the loudness of my track and those of professional EDM artist at 0 dB.

Wanted to hear what you guys think. Thanks

Thanks
    Izotope Ozone 8.
    Looking for collabs, all forms of Dance music, usually cheesy. Cubase 9.5, Ozone 8, Spire, Avenger, Nexus, Sylenth, M1, Z3ta, some Waves & too many Reverbs.

Thanks
    I'm all for cutting out unnecessary frequencies, applying tasteful saturation, and everything else, but I really think some of the EDM masters I hear are way too loud. The loudness wars seem to be winding down so I don't really know if it's a worthy goal. Just my two cents.
    Hit me up on Facebook! Producer album on Spotify and Bandcamp if you want to check it out.

Thanks
    Use multi band compression, ozone’s limiter push that shit to your ears bleed lol.
    Last edited by GFunkEra408; 10-19-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thrill, watch this video I created for my tutorial hub: Stealing Transients - Maximising Loudness - Samplecraze

This is one of 150 audio production videos available on my channel and this particular video concentrates on how we 'steal' transients to create more headroom for further processing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Funk Junkie View Post
    I'm all for cutting out unnecessary frequencies, applying tasteful saturation, and everything else...
    Here's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Hey, guys. I quickly wanted to ask you how do you make your final mixes sound louder in the mastering process?

From my personal experience, there always seems to be a bit of difference between the loudness of my track and those of professional EDM artist at 0 dB.

Wanted to hear what you guys think. Thanks
    Send it to a mastering engineer.

If your master can't compete with other commercial songs then your mix is not good. You need fix your mix.

Thanks
    Before I master a song or send it to mastering, in the mixing process, I'll make sure that I've reached the potential energy in the mix.
    So I make sure that everything is in a good phase and the overall phase correlation of the mix is good.
    For example, if you layered some kick triggers together - it's important to make sure they're "pushing" in-phase together.
    In recent pop mixes, it's relatively easier because most of the mix is based on synthesized and sampled sounds. In live, rock, jazz, etc. it will be trickier, so I'm extra picky specifically about Kick, Snare, Bass and Vocal.

Thanks
    To make your mix louder before you start mixing use a technique called gain staging (adjusting the volume of the instruments without touching the fader on the mixer). If you need a better explanation you can PM me. But what this does is adjust the levels to the point you can turn up the master fader or light compressor without it running the risk of clipping or distorting.

Thread Information