How do you get it perfectly at 0 db or - 2db without using a master channel effect?

What do you mean? ...Without something like hard limiting??

mastering...just throw on a limiter and make it that the output of the limiter makes the master volume reach what ever you want it to.

if you move the faders up to make it louder you run the risk of distorting your track...you are bound to distort your track or just not get it as loud as possible...so Goggle limiter plug-ins or limiter audio hardware and get yourself a couple...if you cant you can use a compressor but a compressor will make your track louder but it will lose dynamic range. So your best bet is a limiter...

if you want i can hook you up with a couple... but you gotta give me something in return...

if you are lazy and simply want to have the max-peak at 0dB, then use the "normalize" function in your audio-editor.

Last edited:
moses said:
if you are lazy and simply want to have the max-peak at 0dB, then use the "normalize" function in your audio-editor.

Normalize does bring your max peak to 0db but it is what is called a "destructive edit" because it alters the actual wave for so that it is percived to be louder...but if you're lazy then find someone else to do your mastering for you because normalizing a wave form is so newb and unprofessional.

as long as you have your normalize set to peak mode (this is generally what its default is, many you cant even choose any other option such as RMS)
it will set your max peak values to 0dbfs as moses said though i dont know anyone in operation who uses it.

FYI a limiter is nothing more than a compressor with ratio set to infinite or very high, above 10:1

often they are one trick ponies, whereby having fixed ratio means you cannot use for anything other than limiting but their essential operation is just the same in both.

as such using either will reduce dynamic range, thats what they do.

Etched said:

Normalize does bring your max peak to 0db but it is what is called a "destructive edit" because it alters the actual wave for so that it is percived to be louder...

yes, as destructive as a moving a level or pan fader (in digital). it does not alter the wave in a ultra-secret way, as i said, this is just a level change based on the loudest sample. the signal is boosted until the maxpeak-sample(s) reaches 0.0dB.
simply limiting everytime is way more destructive than normalizing, because the level is changing in a dynamic way. normalizing is a static level change based on simple statistics.

normalizing a track for mastering purposes is in the most cases nonsense, but there are some exceptions: for example remastering (or restauring) an already limited signal or mass sampling purposes (creating sample-cds).

Last edited:
Back