how do u " wobble " the kick drum

zaw

:monkey:

how do you get the sound of a hit eg. say a kick drum to wobble ?

this gives it a bouncy , boingy sort of quality .

:victory:

please help

I'm using Fruityloops 3 , Vaz+ , Rubberduck , Cubasis and Wavelab lite + some other VST plugins

This is a good one. Almost as good as the famous producer line ... " I want you to make it a bit more purple ".

I have no idea what you mean , can you be more specific.

Robin,

At last something we agree on! Zaw, any choons U know which do this?

Kasio Roks

I think what he means is using an LFO to spin the cutoff point on a band pass or low pass filter. But I think I can safely say I have never heard anyone use that on a kik. Choons ?!

wobble

many thanks for your replies.

what i meant was that , do you know any techniques that might achieve this on a kick drum.

i actually don't know any tunes which utilise this but a similar effect is achieved by using certain kind of bass lines. eg some nu nrg tracks from the mid 90s do this giving an overall feeling of bounce.

i'm trying to achieve a similar type of feel in a deeper more experimental project without using a too ' bouncy ' b-line

Sorry i'm not very musically trained so i'm not sure whether i'm using the correct terms

thanks anyway

:victory: :victory:

Robin's on it-- you'll need to use some kind of LFO or tremolo effect. A fast autopan would work too, but don't set the pan variance too high cause it'll make your track feel drunken, with the kicks all over the place.
-mj-

Glad to be of amusement if nothing else. ;)

/me gives impulseridex the beats. :D
-mj-

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaw,

Just thought of something, if your gonna do all this stuff to your kick (using a fast lfo on a filter on it might work as well) you are going to need a looong kick sound to make it work. Maybe like those 909 samples which boom on until you release the key. Like I say, just a thought.

:monkey:
KasioRoks

its possible you were just hearing a kick on the donwbeat and the same kick sample reversed on the up beat

reg X _ _ _ X _ _ _ X _ _ _ X _ _ _
rev _ _ X_ _ _ X _ _ _ X _ _ _ X _

I hope this is of *some* help to you

~Lodger~

Last edited:
maybe its a pitch envelope that makes the pitch go up at the end of the sample. i use this sometimes to give the kick more bounce.....works well with a long decay.

Are you sure its the kick that's producing the bounce?

Sometimes there's a bass sound that goes along with the kick, like a 303, and the rebound which is kinda bouncy is produced purely with the bass sound when the kick has already died away.

Also something like a 303 sound is easier to manipulate and extend than a kick. You'd have to be producing the kick completely synthetically to add more to it. This could be either a) very novel or b) very wasteful and time consuming.

In short... imo
Creating a bouncy, groovy, locomotive or gallopy effect in your music can be achieved more easily by manipulating the bassline rhythm as opposed to the percussion. Seeing as you're usually using a hardware/soft synth to produce the bassline which is far easier to customise for your specific needs than samples of drums.
I just use the percussion to give the rhythm its initial bite. But then... I'm more into psy-trance and hardhouse and I love to go the alien, synthesized route.

Back