How do I record from mixer to pc?

dk93

Hi,
First of all, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have a question about how to record live band music from a mixer to pc. I'm working with a mackie 1652vlz4 and I want to record sound coming out of channels 1-8, but doesn't have to be individually. Pretty much want to record what is coming out of the main speakers. How would I go about doing that?

Also, I've seen videos where people use mixer + audio interface to record to pc? What's the difference between from recording mixer to pc and mixer>audio interface>pc?

Thanks in advance

You need an interface, period (or a supped-up soundcard). Unless the mixer outputs USB. Which I will have to check on your model.

Mixer > Audio Interface > Computer with a decent 2-track recording program = basic stereo recording.

GJ

Did you mean the “1642?” This means 16x4x2 (16 inputs, 4 sub groups, 2 channel/stereo out). If this is the mixer you mean, I’d go either Tape Out or CR Out (“control room output”) to your interface, if you are also using the main outputs to go to powered speakers for you to listen in the room. But you will only get vocals, if that is all you are miking up, for instance. Also you have to be careful with routing or you can set up a nasty feedback loop that you will not like. If all you want is a stereo work tape/demo, I’d just set-up a separate small mixer with a few microphones in the room to pick up everything and call it a day.

It all depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Lot of possibilities and positive/negative outcomes.

If you want to post what your specific plan is, including number of musicians/inputs, etc., that could help us to help you...

GJ

Oh yes, I meant the 1642. Currently we have ch1-3 vocals, ch4 keys, ch5 bass, ch6 acoustic, ch7 kick drum. Of course recording what we have would sound weird since the rest of the drums are missing but I just wanted to experiment. I do have a focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen too if that comes in handy in you helping me out the optimal way. In terms of cables, I would prob need to purchase some. Your input on what I would need would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, do you have more mikes? And of course you’ll need cables. It looks like you’ll have three more available inputs/channels (the Mackie is not a true 16 channel mixer, but almost none these days are). You could get snare and two drum overheads in.

I believe the Scarlett is only a 2-channel device, yes? So you could use that to record the aforementioned stereo room demo, or, you could sub-mix on the Mackie, then send stereo outputs to the Scarlett for your two track mixdown to computer...

GJ

Back