How do i make my tracks sound cleaner and brighter?

R/\W

Hey guys,
i finished a track the other day and i find my track really dull and kinda muddy, listening to the pros you can hear and feel that each individual sound is clear and bright, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips of making my beats sound brighter
Personally i don't think Its a general mastering problem but i think its to do with each individual sound not being optimized

Example of a really bright track
https://soundcloud.com/nghtmre/nghtmre-ghastly-end-of-the-night

Hope thats clear
Any help is really appreciated
Thanks
RAWT

It's all in the mixing faze. There isn't really a science behind it. You have to cut certain instrument frequencies where they aren't really needed. You really want to get your final mix to hit around -6db to give headroom for the mastering stage, but I've even mixed up to -3db before getting a track mastered. I'm not great at mastering at all, as I am still learning the trades. The right plugins don't hurt either. Basically if you want your tracks to be very bright and clean, it is going to go in this order:

1. Clean high quality instruments and/or samples. Use your ears... The cleaner they are from the start, the cleaner they will be after mixing them.

2. Arrangement of your beat. Over crowded certain instrumental elements in your beat can create a muddy sound.

3. Mixing your tracks properly and cutting unwanted frequencies. Cutting out the very low frequencies can brighten up a track dramatically. Cutting some of the very highs and adjusting your mids can also help out greatly. Also look into separating your instruments a little bit more with stereo and make sure that your bass, kick, main hat, and main snare hit in mono... This will give more room for the resource heavy bass and kick and give a more crisp sound in the end of the mixing stage.

4. Mastering. This is where I am still learning a lot, but from what I understand, this is also where making the track very bright comes from. In mastering you will adjust your overall mix to make it louder than what it is, but also remain as crisp as it is. So mixing a clean track can make mastering the track one hell of an easy job. I'm sorry that I don't have much information to give on mastering. Maybe you might want to ask another question about the mastering stage. I hope I was of some help, if any. Below is a link to my beats on Youtube. I've only been producing for about 2 years now, and producing with a serious attitude for about 1 year.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVUbfc9up4v5G4ElfhkumFnCg8ta6bHzk

send it to a mastering service if you got the money, some can be a bit pricey but they will give you exactly what you need. audiomixingmastering.com

Back