How Can I Improve this Mix

bucky1

I simply need feedback on this mix...What I am going for is a - Clean vocal, that is not that upfront, but still present...I want limited sibilants, wanted most of the dynamics tucked in (i.e. no words poking out or plosives) - Simply I am looking for suggestions as to eq - compression - and clean up production...I have a reflection panel on the back of my mic, but nothing else in terms of room treatment...On this mix I currently have a noise gate, dereverb, 3 forms of compression (about 10 db in reduction total), one eq and two de-essers.... just need some guidance into making this a better mix...will return feedback for any feedback given...pz.

Last edited:
This really is not the section for this. Post it in the feedback section.

But this is not too bad. I really like the beat and the simplicity of the mix. The problem is the clash between the lead vocals and the vocals used in the instrumental. The lead vocals could also use some more clarity. I am not picking up all of the words. Some of them get lost in the mix, which is fine if that is your intention. Could be the reverb from the instrumental being to close to the center of the stereo field...but that's just my ears. I feel like in this mix the lead vocals should be more up front and in your face but not over killed. Perhaps leave the lead vocals dry and use a very, very, very subtle slap delay. The instrumental is very verby so something needs to stand out or the listener will get lost, especially since this is rap.

Last edited:
Sorry about the mispost...I did not want any comments about whether anyone liked the song, more so about how i could improve the recording and mixing of this particular track...I believe your advice answered my request perfectly...thank you for your reply

Back