Hook or verses first?

D-toks

Just wondering for anyone who works in a pro studio or knows people in pro studio settings often...is the typical process to record the hook before the verses or vice versa? Obviously the hook is most important so do you record it right away since presumably there is maximum energy and the absolute start of a session or is it more common practice to do the verses first and hit the hook after since you might be more in that natural flow/groove of the beat leading off of a verse than you might otherwise be by jumping right into a hook from the get-go. I already know about flying hooks and stuff so I'm just wondering does the flown hook get recorded before the verses or not for most singles recorded in a pro setting? And what is the rationale/logic behind the answer to this? Thanks!

I record the verses first, then the hook. Bridge is always last. I wouldn't say this is the best or industry standard way to do it, this is just how I do it.

Many times leading into the hook is pretty powerful too. So there is some strong emotion there too. The verses are also much harder that chorus. The timing is tougher and usually the singer might forget the words in the verses or just not sing them correctly. Also, the chorus is cut and pasted into the other parts which makes it easier.

I guess i like getting the hard part out of the way first.

I wish you the very best with your music!

Yes the verses are harder that's why I was thinking perhaps doing verses first may lead to one leaving his/her best performance in the verses without leaving enough of the energy for the hook, which is the most important part. I'm trying to capture the best performances I can now really taking the pre-recording planning more seriously than the past. Gain-staging is something else I'm really into learning more about as well.

Back