Hip-Hop/R&B Mastering

Hi. i was wondering if anyone could tell me a basic eq for hip-hop and/or r&b beats. I know all tracks require their own unique EQ, but i was wondering if someone could just give me info for a BASIC eq that i can tweak with to get the right sound for my tracks. Thank you.

The basic EQ setting is "bypass".

Seriously, think of car controls. It all depends what you want to do, turn left, turn right, accelerate, ect. Is there a basic control setting when driving a car? No, you probably won't survive the first mile with it.

Or is there a basic setting for a hammer or screwdriver? No, you just use them as required. Blindly hammering on a wall won't make a castle out of your house - it will destroy it.

I'm repeating myself (this is a classic): "I'm having a solution (an EQ), now looking for a problem!"

I mean, identify the issues and then look for a tool/method to fix it. It doesn't make sense to blindly fix issues that don't exist (which is a typical "I have 3000 cracked high end plugins in my VST folder, never read a manual. But they must be good for something, so I'll just throw them on my tracks to see if it helps" thingy).

Last edited:
There's a program that's WAY more accurate than Match EQ. It's adaptive - it calculates the frequency distribution in the commercially mastered song, and if set properly, can calculate how you should EQ your track to have the same energy, rather than simply imitating the frequency curve. Very smart programming.

It's called "Your Ears Fool, That's What They're There For." It's either made by Evolution or IntelligentDesign.

Basically you use the "Listen" function on the commercial track. You focus in on certain frequency areas. Then you switch to your song and use the "Compare" button. It will tell you if the commercial track is more or less bright, mid-rangy, bassy.

Honestly, this program can take some time to really really work to its fullest, but I swear there's really nothing this thing can't do when it comes to mastering. I use it all over the mixing process as well.

Back