Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high notes sound too harsh and don't sound warm at all

Thanks

high notes sound too harsh and don't sound warm at all

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys,

i'm having some problems with my high notes in my track. They sound too harsh and not pleasant at all. I usually put them in octave 6, i tried lowering them to octave 5, but than they loose too much high..

I have been trying several things to fix it, like compressing the high end only, or cutting the high end off, but than it just doesn't sound right to my ears... altough i guess this is the way to go? also i tried adding reverb, but than it loses its strength and energy...

I use sylenth1 mostly of the time, but i just can't get the high ends right... and it always f*cks my track up and i'm sick of it lol >.<

Can you guys maybe give me some techniques or help on this??

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    If you want a sweeter high end, you need to alter the make-up of the sound at source. With synths, different waveforms will produce different results and their modulations create the sound you hear at the end. So, if you're using presets, try to find one which sounds right at the given octave or get inside the synth and use the envelops and filters to make the sound you need.

Maybe look for a Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Moog type sound. For me, they work perfectly right up to the higher octaves.

You could also layer the sounds with something in a lower octave. Something with some mid. I'd use a bass preset with a lot of mid to it or layer with percussion like dilla does a lot to give the synths more of an analog, electro-acoustic impression.

Thanks
    first thought was maybee certain notes have a strong velocity set, maybee lower it for that note..

yo, i was also thinking maybee you could drop some high end EQ at certain uneeded higher frequencies?
    sometime i end up cuttin hella eq and the sound still sounds tyhe same just more clearish

Thanks
    You could try EQing out some of the highs to still stay in the octave and have less highs.

Thanks
    So here's a thought, which you almost got on your own.....

Leave them in the original octave and double them an octave lower. The notes in the upper octave need to have their velocity tamed by about 20 - and the lower octave by about 30 - this should give you

• body
    • warmth and
    • cut

mix to taste...
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LostProfit View Post
    If you want a sweeter high end, you need to alter the make-up of the sound at source. With synths, different waveforms will produce different results and their modulations create the sound you hear at the end.
    This is what I said on the other thread bandcoach.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 61Key View Post
    first thought was maybee certain notes have a strong velocity set, maybee lower it for that note..

yo, i was also thinking maybee you could drop some high end EQ at certain uneeded higher frequencies?
    sometime i end up cuttin hella eq and the sound still sounds tyhe same just more clearish
    Yeah, but i usually cut from the 20khz to like 17khz but then it looses its highness and yeah, it just doesn't sound right to my ears imo.. got any specific freqs that i should cut on? maybe 10khz or so?

Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    So here's a thought, which you almost got on your own.....

Leave them in the original octave and double them an octave lower. The notes in the upper octave need to have their velocity tamed by about 20 - and the lower octave by about 30 - this should give you
    • body
    • warmth and
    • cut

mix to taste...
    Hmm i didn't think of that. i gonna try that

Thanks guys for the replies, if you got any more suggestions feel free to post them

Thanks
    If you're using a synth, you can usually see very specific EQ bands that the synth uses. Try using a Parametric EQ to see visually what the synth's frequency range looks like, and then try EQ cuts where you see spikes. There's also an unpleasant EQ range I think around 2700hz that could be causing your problem; try searching around for that. Cutting above 15khz will not likely solve your problem, as that's mostly "air" and usually contributes to a synth's natural sound.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbeezy View Post
    If you're using a synth, you can usually see very specific EQ bands that the synth uses. Try using a Parametric EQ to see visually what the synth's frequency range looks like, and then try EQ cuts where you see spikes. There's also an unpleasant EQ range I think around 2700hz that could be causing your problem; try searching around for that. Cutting above 15khz will not likely solve your problem, as that's mostly "air" and usually contributes to a synth's natural sound.
    Ok thanks man i'll check it out

Thanks
    Maybe you're just singing too high? And that messes it up?

Thread Information