Help with mixing

Andy-K

I mix with the krk rokit 5s. I do a rough mix on headphones first usually and sounds that I can hear very well on headphones can barely be heard on the speakers so which is more true???? Also on the krks the 808 always seems to be quiet and not stand out when it's booming on headphones or other devices. Help :(

Telling you right now...any subwoofer under 8 won't translate BASS very well. WHen I first started doing professional monitoring I have some 5's and I had to use mixing headphones to get the bass right...get you something that's flat and has an 8 inch woofer on it. I have some Yamaha HS8's..word on the street is KRK's are really bass heavy and most people I know use them to play their final mix for ear candy but never to monitor.

Last edited:
I also use the KRK 5's. They're great speakers but they don't represent the 20-40Hz range at all, really. When mixing, I usually start out in my Beats Pro headphones (they have a really great 'sub' representation) to get my sounds and tones as you've stated you do as well. Once I have some cleaned up audio going on, I'll move over to the KRK's to do a little more balancing but the vocals always sound louder on the KRK's as a result of them having virtually no sub whatsoever. Similarly, this is what I think is causing your 808 to sound quiet or small. I usually go back and forth from the KRK's to the Beats Pro throughout the mix until I have something sounding the way I want. Try starting out with another song you like as a reference mix and try to get them sounding similar. Hope this helps. Matt.

Last edited:
I also have a pair of Krk rp5s as my secondary monitors and love them. What everyone stated is accurate, the bass isn't as responsive(as most isn't on a standard 5inch speaker). Through continuous use and referencing you'll find their sweetspot for bass. I've had them not 3 years, and I understand the bass response, a lot of it is time, but MAKE SURE YOUR REFERENCING, if not you'll never lock down your krks sound. Everybody is going to tell you to probably upgrade to the 8inch or a different monitor setup, but I understand that can't easily be done as monitors cost money! So LEARN your mix, referencing on everything you can!

Yeah go to your headphones to reference bass levels - most monitors dont extend below 50Hz, and unless your in a well treated room your bass levels are going to be lumpy. Use your monitors to make bigger mixing decisions involving panning and EQ, headphones to reference check

Back