Help with Gain staging....

switch-man

I'm trying to gain stage a song on FL Studio. To gain stage in FL, we use the volume knob in the step sequencer. I know that much, and I know the general guideline is -18db to -15db, but when I set all my tracks to around that level, some instruments are still waaaay too loud. For some instruments, I'm having to lower the volume all the way down to more than -30db (in the step sequencer) to get it to sound even with the other instruments.

Will this cause any unwanted noise, or hiss to creep up when I up the volume in the mixer? And again later when I master it?

Last edited:
Generally not in the digital domain. Is your system noise-y? Are you hearing any artifacts or weirdness?

The best approach, overall though, is to turn _everything down_, and then build incrementally. Most people max-out volumes, then try to bring it back in the final mix/2-buss stage. Not 'gon do.

GJ

Last edited:
Switch, I have created a number of video tutorials about this but for now why not read the article I wrote for Sound On Sound magazine about using pink noise to mix. It is done channel by channel and will take away the guesswork in what levels to use.

Mixing To A Pink Noise Reference |

From what I've heard, pink noise is for losers haha not my words :)

My advice to you switch is this: always get the right volume from the source, don't wait till the mixing stage. If you're using VST instruments, gain stage during sound design on the VST instrument. If you're recording live instruments then get the right volume during recording. That's the best way.

But in FL Studio there's a volume knob on the left of each instrument/sound right next to the pan knob (it's a circle knob). Use that volume knob before sending the channel to the mixer. Don't push your mixer faders too low, they lose resolution.

Hope that helps.

Back