Help with Cubase recording problem, M-Audio Fast Track Pro

ekestes

Hello

I have the M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio interface and I'm using Cubase SX 3.1.1. I can't seem to get Cubase to record what's playing into an audio track. I'm using the M-Audio USB ASIO driver, and the sound is good and latency is low (8.209 ms). I add a new audio track, and enable recording and monitoring. I click record in the master transport bar, and you can see the bars being created in the audio track, but there is no audio signal and nothing is recorded. If I bring up the mixer, it also confirms that there is no audio signal coming into the track.

The input for the audio track shows "ASIO Multimedia Driver Stereo In". If I go to Devices -> VST Connections and look at inputs, I have the following device ports:
1 Line In 1 Fast Track Pro
2 Line In 2 Fast Track Pro
3 S/PDIF In L Fast Track Pro
4 S/PDIF In R Fast Track Pro

Obviously these inputs are associated with the ones on the back of the device, where external sources can be plugged in.

I was looking at my friend's setup under VST Connections, and he has an additional set of device ports that can be selected that will record what's playing.

Is this just not possible with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or am I missing something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fast track pro

hey man.

maybe I can help you out. if you using a fastrack pro, you must understand that the inputs of the soundcard are mono. so if you have all correctly setup (the audio) you insert an audiotrack and as soon as you do that you make a mono track. he ask for it obviously. then where you have connected your synth or whatever you use by input 1 or 2 on your soundcard, front or back. then you have to select in your mono track by in: in1 or in2. that's just where you have connected your audio. to check everything is right you insert a midi track, play some of your keys on your synth. add an audiotrack like above explained,turn on the monitoring button and check if you got any signal.

let me know if this helped.

greetings from holland

Dj Freakstyler:cheers:

Hello

I have the M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio interface and I'm using Cubase SX 3.1.1. I can't seem to get Cubase to record what's playing into an audio track. I'm using the M-Audio USB ASIO driver, and the sound is good and latency is low (8.209 ms). I add a new audio track, and enable recording and monitoring. I click record in the master transport bar, and you can see the bars being created in the audio track, but there is no audio signal and nothing is recorded. If I bring up the mixer, it also confirms that there is no audio signal coming into the track.

The input for the audio track shows "ASIO Multimedia Driver Stereo In". If I go to Devices -> VST Connections and look at inputs, I have the following device ports:

Obviously these inputs are associated with the ones on the back of the device, where external sources can be plugged in.

I was looking at my friend's setup under VST Connections, and he has an additional set of device ports that can be selected that will record what's playing.

Is this just not possible with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or am I missing something?

First thing u need to do is, go to Devices -> VST Connections and look at inputs, change every thing thats going on

Right click on every thing listed here and remove it
Once your inputs is empty, press the Add Bus Tab,add 1 Mono Track this should be the only thing in this window.
On your Recording Screen ii Should read (mono in) and (stereo out)

I USE THE SAME SOUND CARD AND THIS IS MY SET UP IN CUBASE SX 3
IF U GOT ANY MORE QUESTIONS JUST HIT ME UP.

Hello City Music, I read in one of your post that you are using the M-Audio Fastrack Pro along with Cubase. I recently purchased the Fasttrack pro to use on my new lapop running Cubase as well and was wondering if you could assist me in setting my device correctly?

I was previously recording in Cubase on my desktop and the sound was wonderful. I think I may have connected something wrong on my laptop as I feel limited my volume.

Your help would be greatly appreciated man..

fasstrack cubase

hey man,
I shall try to help you out. ok, first start your cubase program. then go to the devices tab. then go to device setup. choose vst audio bay or vst audio system, choose by asio driver fasttrack pro. then click on apply or ok. then go back again to devices and click on vst connections, there you see a tab inputs and outputs. make sure you have selected the soundcard (fasttrack pro) by inputs and outputs (left and right). you can close your vst connections window and normally speaking you have sound now. if it doesn't work let me know and I try to help you. if it works tell me also.

greetings from holland

dj freakstyler

Thanks for your reply Dj Freakstyler, I will check this as soon as I make it home. On more question, I noticed that when I attempted to record audio while also having my midi playing back(VSTi), the sound quality was very very low. I could only change the quality\volume by moving the mix nob to the left. But this only allowed me to hear the Mic not Audio playback.

My question is when I am recording someone along to multiple tracks in Cubase, i want them to hear the music as loud and clear as possible along with themselfves on the MIC. Am I doing something wrong? Like I said, I will check my settings as you suggested above.

settings

ok. first check the settings I showed you. when I'm using cubase with fasttrack, or any other program I set the mix and output knob on 12 o clock. then it will be balanced. if you record midi to an audio track. you can click on the waveform and set the gain if you like.

Gotcha, thanks for you help, So far so good. I updated everything and my sound is a bit better. Will play around more with it tonight. I noticed that in order for me to hear the audio playback along with myself on the mic at a higher volume, I had to click on the orange monitoring icon "speaker" in Cubase on the audio track.

you're welcome

ok, I'm glad I could help you out. if you need some help in the future, just let me know. doesn't matter what question about music. I have an advanced homestudio in my room and know how it works so... be sure to check me on youtube accountname is djfreakstyler, there you can my homestudio. maybe then you can ask me a question about the hardware I use if needed.

greetings from Holland

Dj freakstyler

I attach a previous message posted in 2009 about recording audio (microphone) into Cubase 5 using M Audio Fastrack Pro. I am having exactly the same problem - I cant seem to find where this was acyually answered or soleved - any help would be appreciated.

Previous message read

I hope this helps!!!

ey man. I just received the question about the setup. I will try to help you out. if this will not work please let me know. if it works, let me know too. for the setup you need to switch the asio multimedia thing and you need to route the inputs and outputs. so make sure you have it setup like this. by the tab: ''devices'' above in the program if you click it you go to vst audiobay, I think it's called like that in the cubase 3 version, and you select M-audio usb asio by the asio driver. that was it for the device setup (tell me if I'm missing something here). then you go to vst connections: by the tap audio device you select under the tab m-audio usb asio. make sure the speakers are on stereo under the speakers tab. and by bus name stereo in. then you setup it up where your gear goes to (what inputs). if the setup is good this way you can save it as a preset. then by outputs bus name stereo out, by speakers stereo, by audio device m-audio usb asio, by device port analog 1/2 fasttrack pro by the left speaker and analog 1/2 fasttrack pro by the right speaker. make sure you have select in your m-audio asio menu from the soundcard itself the inputs and outputs you use. let me know if it works.

greetings from holland

Dj freakstyler

Thanks freakstyler - yeah did all that. No change. I can record midi/instrument channels from my keyboard but not audio. I can hear the sound of the mic thru my speakers but no signal is visible from the mic in cubase. I am using Cubase 5 so few small differences there in setup. I recken there is something wrong in the basic setup of either M Audio or the pc itself as I have previously recorded with the same mic using the Soundmax card of the PC. The other thing I tried is recording audio thru Audacity (a simple recorder program). Once again i dont receive any audio signal with the mic going thru M Audio but I can hear sound thru my speakers

Mic problem?

It seems you have done something wrong with the mic's signal. what kind of mic are you using. and what cable is going to wich input of the fasttrack pro? I need to know that and then I can tell you more. because if you have a studio condenser mic what goes into the fasttrack with an xlr cable than you gotta do at least these steps: your speakers on the back of the soundcard (the fasttrack) vian the rca outputs 1 and 2 or the trs outputs 1 and 2 for specific studio monitors. then if you have some hardware on the back of the soundcard make sure you have (I'm showing my setup now) your midi hardware on the back in trs input 1 as a mono. so only the one jack input at the back. now you gotta put you xlr cable in input 2 at the front and make sure the knob at the side (inst) is unpressed and the volume knob from this input is so much increased that if you speak in the mic you see on the soundcard that the signal light is at green the moment you talk in your mic. when I used my fasttrack pro in the beginning I had to turned the knob from the gain of the inst all the way to the right to get signal. so try it and tell me what mic and stuff you use. I hope to get your next reply.

Back