Headphones: What to buy?

Will_Bender

Hey Everyone,

So what's everyone's preference in headphones? What specs to look out for? What to buy?

Am looking for a nice, balanced set for recording and mixing.

Your Thoughts,

WB

Honestly, I just use ordinary buds and Skullcandy HESH2 headphones. If I had the money I'd certainly get some professional grade equipment but, in my opinion the best way to get music that sounds good is to listen on the devices that consumers will use. After all, you are targeting them. Someone with more experience might disagree.

I found the ATH M50's on Amazon for $150. And, yes, they got great ratings. :)

The follow up question I have is, they are said to be closed back headphones, which are recommended mainly for single instrument recording.

Open back headphones are supposed to be better for mixing - I have no idea why, or what the difference is... although it seems like sound isolation is a key factor... but why non-isolated sound would be better for mixdowns I dont know...

The open back headphones I'm considering are Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Studio Open Circumaural Studio Headphones, which are like $200 on Sweetwater... but, again, I'm not sure if two sets are necessary, or if the ATH MS50's would suffice...

Kinda depends on your budget. But I'll be the 4th to recommend Audio Technica's. I love mine -- ATH-M50x's in White. Had them about 3 years, taken them DJ'ing multiple times. Still working the same as when I got them. A bit dirtier but I don't take very good care of them or put them in their bag, lol.

I use them for DJ'ing, producing (when I can't wake people up with my monitors), and for general every day listening / gaming.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are looking for - Tracking Headphones Audio Technica MH50's are good. For mixing I would choose Denon 5000 or DDT Beyerdynamic 880 ....

Back