Headphones for mixing/mastering

jwillmatic

Hey I've been mixing my music lately on some crappy apple headphones, what are some good headphones I could get for mixing around the 150$ range or is that even too cheap?

In the 100-200$ range? Here's my list then.
Maudio Q40.
Srh440.
Grado SR 60 or 80.
Any Senns in that range.

In the 100< range?
hd201
htf600
mdr V series.

I use an ATH-M30 pair and am really happy with them. They are very clear, the quality is very good, but the bass is a little weak, but I like it. I think you should buy a ATH-M50x, one time they are supposed to be better than mines (one ex-profesor said he use one pair and they are amazing) and they cost $149,00 buying from Sweetwater.

In the 100-200$ range? Here's my list then.
Maudio Q40.
Srh440.
Grado SR 60 or 80.
Any Senns in that range.

In the 100< range?
hd201
htf600
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]mdr V series.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I already owned a pair of SRH440s and I don't recommend them for mixing. They put in evidence mid frequencies and my ATH-M30 has better bass. I switched from SRH440s to ATH-M30s, one of my best purchases.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I prefer flat equipment.
------------------------
So My list stays as this:
Srh440
Maudio q40
senns.
grado.
hd201

Have not used german maestro though but have heard good things about them.
I also own some flat presonus eris.

Last edited:
If you want headphones for mixing and mastering, open-back headphones would be great. The traditional headphones are closed-back and sounds like the low end can accumulate in the cans, which could deter you from mixing properly. Open-back are open so the sounds flow naturally and you can get a pretty neutral sound, which is helpful for mixing. My opinion of open-backs are they're not as exciting sounding, but would be much more accurate. It is all preference though. There are people who say closed works fine for them since their listeners will listen to it like that.

Thats guys your input was really helpful, I just ordered the ATH-M50x's so I'll let you know what I think when I get them tomorrow!

Hey I've been mixing my music lately on some crappy apple headphones, what are some good headphones I could get for mixing around the 150$ range or is that even too cheap?
Don't just mix on just one pair of headphones, also don't just mix on headphones. Sure, have your favorite pair, but always listen back on multiple systems.

I have steelseries Syberia gaming headphones and HS80M Yamaha monitors. Headphones are amazing, they really tell me true state of my mix. On monitors all sound lovely but on these headphones I hear real state.

I would say that you should go for some good monitors with a sub for the most realistic sound. But for headphones I would recommend beyerdynamic dt 770

Reread this post. I don't think it's stressed enough yet. Mixing and even more, mastering, is not done on headphones. You need monitor speakers for this. You also need software. Some VSTs can handle it, some DAWs have it in the box and there's also specific software for it. There's, obviously, also hardware components that help a great deal. Bit of an in the box/out of the box discussion. Headphones don't give you the best representation of the stereo image. Headphones are a nice help. In situations where sound through speakers is not possible. Nagging wife, neighbors, etc. They can be used for the creative part. Mixing and mastering is best done in a room that reacts well to your monitor speakers. Most rooms need some treatment.

Last edited:
Back