Thread: Having trouble with Auto tune

Thanks

Having trouble with Auto tune

Sign in to disable this ad
    Why does my autotune plugin make me sound like a chipmunk?
    I'm using Antares Auto tune Evo and when I applied the autotune to my vocals I sounded like a chipmunk (after I was messing around with the settings) but before I had the settings of one of my favorite artists, I had Drake settings on and when I applied the autotune I didn't notice any difference. I still sounded the same. I know I'm not going to sound exactly like him but I should be able to get some sort of results. How can I fix this issue

Thanks
    You're not going to sound like Drake by using a Drake preset (not even a little). You will sound like you, but in tune based on your predetermined parameters, or robotically in tune, if you use the program like an effect for that particular sound. What is it you're trying to achieve?
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    I know I won't sound like drake. I just want to get that effect. I've seen a lot of videos of people sounding like other rappers using autotune. They don't sound 100% like them but they still get the effect. But to answer your question, what I'm trying to achieve is to get that crispy voice like Travis Scott and Nav, Desiigner etc... If you notice their voices with autotune, they have that crispy "effect"

Thanks
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Thanks I'll check them out in the morning. But you know what I mean right? I'm not trying to sound exactly like them. I just want the effect.
    Here's some example:
    Example 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFm9Yp80dE
    Example 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rHj8UzpWY
    Example 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ProbPpO_8oo

And I'm not trying to hide my "bad singing" if that makes sense. I don't mind if the audience notices the autotune I just don't want to sound like a "robot"

Thanks
    You should mind if the audience notices because, and this is no jab at you, you would benefit much more from learning singing using your natural voice, granted you get some professional training.
    Last edited by OGBama; 02-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

Thanks
    That's not my point, I just want to get that effect. Music has changed I'm not trying to hide the fact I can't sing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrizzyFromthe6 View Post
    That's not my point, I just want to get that effect. Music has changed I'm not trying to hide the fact I can't sing
    Music has changed both for better and worse and, don't say you can't sing, everyone can learn how.
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

Thanks
    Yeah true, but when I wrote some of my songs, I focused on that type of effect in my head.

Thanks
    I would also add that the better you are at singing naturally the better you're going to be at crafting sounds with the auto-tune. Definitely look into getting some singing lessons or trying some courses on Udemy, Lynda, Youtube, etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Friendlyblkman For This Useful Post:

Thread Information