has ipod, and earbuds made mixing and mastering harder

fataltone

Holy Lamb Media & Ent.
has it made it easier or harder...
I'm thinking harder as you have to make the low end hit in small earbuds highs sparkle
but then I was thinking it's easier as the usually listener in listening through bad playback systems compared to a mixing/mastering engineer's monitors in a treated room

what's your thoughts on this.. has the mixing and mastering game changed because of ipod and mp3 players...
and what else has changed the mixing and mastering game
1.software like waves and UAD,Soundtoys

I don't. They use crappy earphones so I have to compensate for that? No. They should get better earphones if they want to enjoy their music. People have it way too easy nowadays.

My opinion is you can't listen to music properly on earbuds, you can imagine how it would sound on good speakers or headphones though.. unless you don't use them.

They had earbuds even before that. It doesn't affect the way I approach material. I'd say mono compatibility is a more important thing to keep your ear on due to single-speaker phones.

Nearly all earbuds and small playback devices come with their own corrective processing to sound "ok". This involves heavy saturation and compression as well as loudness "contour" curves. Most also enhance the stereo image in some way. All these things also apply PC speakers and consumer oriented headphones.

so, there is no need for special mixing or mastering considerations regarding earplugs IMO.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm with Moses and the others. I don't think it matters as much. If your mix sounds good it'll sound good on headphones.

thanks guy I thought it would be intereresting topic as most listeners now days are ipod/mp3 headphones rockers...
and I thought it might affect how with mix or at least the master....
but as Moses pointed out ipod/mp3 players have some corrective stuff going on

Nearly all earbuds and small playback devices come with their own corrective processing to sound "ok". This involves heavy saturation and compression as well as loudness "contour" curves. Most also enhance the stereo image in some way. All these things also apply PC speakers and consumer oriented headphones.

so, there is no need for special mixing or mastering considerations regarding earplugs IMO.

Although that is all true, the fact of the matter is that some mixes sound good on headphones, and others do not. If you're not mixing mainstream material, it doesn't matter - but if you're mixing pop or something similar, generally there is a certain way to mix it. That polished 'modern' sound always sounds best on headphones.

Back