Getting Rid of Plosives? (K, C, P, B)

Hi guys, I'm trying up my mixing game, and I realize pro recordings all have even plosives that don't stick out (K, C, P, B) sounds. I use a pop filter on a condenser mic, and I still get plosives coming through. I've tried HPFing which gives me some results, compression, and EQ, and gain automation, but nothing gives me what I want. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

At the source, try to get your talent (singer, rapper, narrator) to go off axis a bit, back-up, and/or back off of the offensive phrases. Experienced talent with good mike technique will do this instinctively, but newbies will need coaching.

At the "fix it" stage, if all that you've tried hasn't worked, then it's down to individual and tedious editing points and trying to "shave off' as much of the offensive sound as possible. Sometimes, believe it or not, _adding_ distortion can help a bit. Also, try to get multiple takes so you have choices for comping.

GJ

One more thing-- At the tracking stage, try to watch levels carefully and err on the side of "less is more." Of course, you need good healthy level, but IMHE, most talent comes in at a much lower level during the set-up stage than they do when they're actually tracking a take. For example, a singer will piddle around with "check 1-2" or a few half-heartedly sung phrases, then take your head-off when you go for the first take. I always try to cue the talent when I think they are shucking, jiving, and unintentionally pussy-footing-- "I need REAL WORLD signal. SING!"

GJ

So like anytime I'm recording, like if I saw "Player" with some oomph, I should back away from the mic when I say the P? I only record myself. I'll try that off axis thing. Might try backing up a bit too. Generally I get close for the proximity effect. I never really paid much attention to editing. I always thought a compressor would handle everything, but it doesn't.

Yea I put on some amp distortion for the prechorus, and it's all smooth and you can't notice the plosive probs found in the verse. Maybe it takes away from some frequency or something. So yea, I'll go back and just try things. Trying a clip gain drop and some fades.

A really good example of this is Eminem's "Killshot". The first few rhymes "attack, track" it's almost as if that CK plosive was faded out of magically disappears. Whereas on one of my songs I say f``K and really pronunciate that K. I feel like there is barely any info online about this. Like people just say get a pop filter, you're golden.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Yeah, just start by being aware of your own pronunciation, and turning your head when you get to hard plosives like “p.” If you back up, or back out while recording, try do it from the waist, and to keep your feet planted. You can either visually or with a marker (tape an “x” on the floor) keep an eye on your position once you get a good vocal sound, so there isn’t too much variation in tone in front of the microphone.

GJ

Thanks for the pro tips dude, wouldn't have thought of that. I just spent 30 minutes drawing automation to recover something I recorded, dropping gain on all things that don't sound smooth. It's actually my smoothest sounding vocal so far (even dropped the S'es). But yes, if I can avoid this process, I will haha. So I'm gonna try those tips.

Back