Getting the most out of my USB mic

Dare3

Early last year i got the Samson Meteor USB Mic for $100 to record my rapping i'm not happy with how it sounds in songs, my friends tell me its not as bad as i think but it irritates me that it doesn't sound clear in my songs ( It wont let me post a link to my soundcloud until 5 posts so when it lets me ill post it below ) i just want to ask has it got something to do with my mixing which would make sense since i haven't got the full grasp of it yet (I record & edit vocals in Logic Pro X). And if there is a way to make it sound clearer and better, i want to ask this because i'm thinking of getting a new mic with a interface although the mic is cheap (bm-800) and its all i can afford at the time being. I also want to ask would you reccommend getting a new mic or am i over-exaggerating?

A usb-condenser-mic is likely to never sound as good as as a regularly cabled one through an audio interface but there might be things you can do to help yourself...

first thing would be to look at the source. Your room is the source.

a quote I saw recently that really sets it up (can't remember where or who)

"Your microphone isn't recording you. It's recording your room with you in it"

make your room sound as good as it can... Even if it's just hanging a duvet on the wall behind you... Ideally you want to treat it as well as possible.

the other thing I'd look at is your beats (as you said you were a rapper, I'm assuming you're buying/leasing beats you haven't made yourself - if you do make your own I apologise and you can ignore the following). Try and get stems rather than stereo files so that you can have more control in terms of where you voice will sit in the mix. This might cost you extra (if buying) but with practice will improve the sound of your songs no end.

Work on your mixing.

I used to record artists with a $150 AT2020 usb, I used to have to do a lot of dramatic eq adjustments to get things to sound right. With alot of work I could multiply the perceived price of the mic and I accredit my mixing abilities today to that mic.

Now I use a $1200 Blue mic, the difference now is that I need very minor eq changes to get a great sound.

So essentially what your paying for is to do less work. If you cant afford the premium, put in the work.

Also look up recording techniques, despite what the box says, its not plug in, hit record, start rapping - mic placement is key.

Thanks for the tips! do you guys think i should stick with my current mic or get a new one? and yeah i make my own beats, my mixing is probably a big reason why it doesnt sound as good as i want it to.

Work on your mixing.

I used to record artists with a $150 AT2020 usb, I used to have to do a lot of dramatic eq adjustments to get things to sound right. With alot of work I could multiply the perceived price of the mic and I accredit my mixing abilities today to that mic.
Well unfortunately an at2020 is not a samson meteor.

I wouldn't say you should work on your mixing at all with a mic like that. Sure, it can make you sound better, but I would just say get an sm57 and an interface. Very cheap microphone that can go a long way.

I was on the fence there for a bit but i think ill just stick with the mic and work on mixing if i dont like that ill move on to a new mic, thanks to everyone for the help

Well if you are going to stick with a mic like that, then here's a few things I'd advise.

1) Research/practice mic technique. Know that any slight head movement can cause dramatic tonal changes. Inconsistent tone can really kill a vocal take for me.

2) Automate tracks. You probably have heard of guys squashing the crap out of their rap vocals, but regardless of whether or not you are going to use compression, I would automate your vocal tracks. Be very surgical here. Every syllable should be heard. It can take a long ass time, but it's worth it. Ideally, this will be less work as your mic technique improves. This is also what Ali does on Kendrick's tracks. He doesn't use that much compression really, but of course Kendrick has been recording for a long time and is using thousand dollar microphones. Alternatively, you can use Waves Vocal Rider, which I've personally never used. Could be bad, could be good, I don't know.

3) Just practice with eq. You can do research on it, but for me I would just a/b your tracks with other songs and see what makes your vocals tick. You're not going to have similar eq changes with really anybody, because only you have your voice with your mic in your room.

4) If you can't hear what compression is doing, you either need a better monitoring system or practice. I like the sound of compression, even if it's just a db, on rap vocals. It's subtle, and can go a long way if you have already automated a lot of the track.

While I agree with most of the above I'll still maintain that this will be made much, much easier if you treat your space first

the idea behind the tracks are great honestly but your vocals need to EQ'd better and you need to project your voice more. you sound like you're recording so nobody else can hear you. the entire take needs more emotion. even if the quality isnt as good at least do a vocal take with the emotion to move me. i hear your track but i dont feel it

If you're serious about making the best product possible, then you're going to be serious about having the best possible tools to make the best product possible. Don't try to talk yourself into spending zero dollars and wondering why your music isn't getting picked up by locals or national interests. Don't.

Wanna have great quality? Then learn how to do it right using the right tools.

Peace.

Thats a really fair point man, unfortunatley with the money i have i cant and the best interface powered mic i can buy isnt very good (bm-800) . I cant get more money because my only real income is uncles and aunties which i see once a year, i cant get a job because my parents suprisingley wont let me get one, becuase they feel i already have enough given to me (clothes, education) and dont need my own money to buy what i want (I'm 16). So i actually face a dilenma with money to buy the best tools so ive decided to just use what i have now and become a much better mixer. I definitley see where you are coming from and understand your advice man though. If i only i had more money :(

Then you need to go back to your room and make it sound as good as you can. Duvets, blankets, your mattress and whatever else you can find. Use to deaden the room as much as possible. Experiment with your mic positioning and find out where it sounds best.

There's lots you can do (physically) with what you have that can keep you on til you can talk then round on the job front.

Early last year i got the Samson Meteor USB Mic for $100 to record my rapping i'm not happy with how it sounds in songs, my friends tell me its not as bad as i think but it irritates me that it doesn't sound clear in my songs ( It wont let me post a link to my soundcloud until 5 posts so when it lets me ill post it below ) i just want to ask has it got something to do with my mixing which would make sense since i haven't got the full grasp of it yet (I record & edit vocals in Logic Pro X). And if there is a way to make it sound clearer and better, i want to ask this because i'm thinking of getting a new mic with a interface although the mic is cheap (bm-800) and its all i can afford at the time being. I also want to ask would you reccommend getting a new mic or am i over-exaggerating?

usb mics are bad. they made these for people who dont want to buy the hardware. Sorry,, but it was money lost for you to buy that. RODE mics are great. and u can use a barringer mixer board for cheap. like 1 channel or 2. good sound

Last edited by a moderator:
if you live/record in a noisy environment consider using a dynamic mic instead of a condenser, it wont be as crisp sound wise but you wont pick up as much noise while recording. i use an sm58 when i cant use my studio projects b1 to lay down an idea then redo it when i get a chance. look into noise removal tutorials too, ive used them with bad mics sometimes and ive gotten usable results.

If you feel like you need a better mic and you have the dough, definitely spring for itX A nice Rode NTK would be great, even off eBay. If not, you can grab a good AKG condenser mic from Guitar Center from $150 or so. Either way, you really need to get your mixing and mastering game tight. Watch some tutorials online specifically for your DAW. There's a great tutorial available on Lynda.com for mixing and mastering for Logic Pro X. Once you get your m&m down, you'll be more comfortable and confident with your sound homie. Trust me.

When I was using my Producer USB mic, I did a couple things that really helped with clarity. I made a ghetto ass vocal booth with a really really thin felt blanket by tacking it to the ceiling. Surprisingly enough, that actually helped get rid of that really tinny sound you get when recording vocals in a really crammed and untreated environment. Also like everyone said learn how to properly EQ and compress your vocals. Cutting the lower frequencies out (below 80-165 Hz) will help too. Investing into a better mic would be dope too if you got the funds for it.

Back