Getting an "Audio Engineer" qualification

Hey guys, 10 years ago I wanted to study audio engineering but let myself be persuaded off course by some external factors. Anyways, the past 6 years I've been working on music, and last year just launched my solo career as a rapper/producer.

Long story short I wanna work in music yes or yes, and Ive come to love mixing. I found a place that is "accredited" and you can get an online certificate of "Audio Engineer" that is state qualified.

Now I'm totally open to learning, but the course syllabus looks basic, as I've been learning from tutorials (some youtube, some paid courses) the past year or so with mixing. If anything, it seems like I'd be paying more for the "title", which brings me to the main question.

Will a title or certification help me to get in the door as an engineer? Or is that just pointless. We're not talking a huge amount of money, about a 100 bucks a month for a year, but I'm thinking I could also invest that in my studio or just get by with my head above water. I feel like this could be a way to end a personal battle I've been having of never having "officially" studied what I wanted, but at the same time I have, just on my own terms. And continue to do.

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if anyone else has doubted audio schools etc. and if anyone had any input.

Thanks!

Dude, if you can get a certification from Berklee, Full Sail, etc. for FREE then go for it. In all honesty, it is a lot of money for little to no guarantee of success. You would be better off spending your money networking at conferences and learning from the masters this way. You simply need to network and have a mentor(s) who can critique your work and help you grow. Find those people.

Just my personal opinion.

I'm a major label mixer/producer. The certification title is completely meaningless. Nobody will care. Nobody will even ask. Take the classes if you think you will learn better that way, but the "title" should not be part of your consideration.

Thanks for all the input guys. In the end I decided to not go for it, and just keep practicing mixing. Since then I've mixed tracks from various ppl (for free albeit) and am starting to receive better feedback. Here's my latest track, from my personal artist page. Let me know what yall think of the mixing/production

Problem (+Lyric Video)

I'm a major label mixer/producer. The certification title is completely meaningless. Nobody will care. Nobody will even ask. Take the classes if you think you will learn better that way, but the "title" should not be part of your consideration.

thanks for the info man, thats really good to hear from someone actually in the industry. guess results are much more important. And networking from what some people tell me

Last edited:
Back