Gains too high during recording onto a .wav file

E

enkorat

Okay, I don't know if this question has been asked before here because I don't usually read the recording forum, but here it is.

So I recorded this set today (just for practice, nothing like a general release or anything) and I set the channel gains a bit too high on my mixer so the extremes on the recording have a little bit of distortion.

Nothing major but still kinda irritating.

My question is: is there anything I can do other than re-record the set at a lower gain. Some software maybe? Ripping the .wav to a lower bitrate MP3 so the extremes get compressed out?

Again, its not really meant for a release or anything, I just want some friends of mine to listen to it without getting a headache. :D

Respect

-hey bio-techno-geek:hello:

-u might want to try "normalizing" if that is available in your recording prog. Not sure how the algorithm is designed, but I think it does what you want.

-compressing to a lower bitrate will remove some of the higher frequencies, and may make it sound mo bettah.

-it might not have been the gains on your mixer, but in fact the channel on your system mixer (computer). There is a tutorial out there somewhere about how to set it up, but I can't remember. . . .oh wait. . . here it is

Back