Gain Staging -Directed @ Massive Mastering

deezalmonds

I wanted to know if I recorded my vocals too loud(not peaking my DAW meters but over 20 to -18dBFS/RMS referenced in another post), would using the trim/gain function to reduce their level to the suggested 20 to -18dBFS offset the overdriving of the signal?

Wanted to start with something not too expensive on the mic side. It's going to be easier to upgrade the mic. Plus after my research, the P-Solo was the way to go. But what's the answer with my current configuration?

Last edited:
Wanted to start with something not too expensive on the mic side. It's going to be easier to upgrade the mic. Plus after my research, the P-Solo was the way to go. But what's the answer with my current configuration?

I just don't agree. Better to start with a decent mic first.

Deez, if I understand your question, then the answer is "kind of".

Assuming your vocals that you tracked really loud (say -3 for the sake of argument) are not distorted, then YES, you should use the trim to bring them down lower (-12 to -18 or thereabouts) pre-fader when you mix. That will correct the gain-staging during mixing issues and you will get a very subtle boost in quality. What it won't do is help the quality of the vocal that was recorded. When you track really hot you run into the non-linearity portion of your A/D converter. This is a bigger issue on cheaper converters than it is on nicer ones, but in generally you try to avoid it when conveniently possible. That non-linearity would very subtly degrade the quality of your vocal and once it's recorded that way you are stuck with it.

We are talking about very small amounts of sound quality here. But if you are trying to compete with huge records out there, every bit helps.

Exactly. I miss massive so if you talk to him tell him to GET BACK ON FP TO SCHOOL THE NEWBS! Plus I'm sure I still gots lots to learn from the jedi master!

Back