Gain Issues with Presonus Studio Channel

princevee

What's up FP, I have a presonus studio channel running into my Mbox mini, but the problem I'm having is my recording come back to low....I bypass the compressor and record raw...but as I give the mic gain the recordings will clip causing me to record the signal low. Idk what's going I thought the channel strip would help boost my vocals & make them sit....

I would guess your MBox is the weak link here.

This is just a guess, but I would suspect that maybe your A/D converters on your mbox are clipping. I guess this b/c I had similar issues w/ my FireWire 410. I would record lower than I felt I should have to to avoid occasional clipping on aggresive stuff (using the stock preamps). I then upgraded to an Echo Audiofire4 and a lot of the clipping issues went away. Then after adding my external preamp... i noticed I had waaaaaaaaayyyyy more headroom before I clipped. I shouted and could barely get the thing to clip if i WANTED to.

So... that experience leads me to believe your mbox's a/d converters are clipping.

Does the Mbox have line inputs? If so, your pre-amp output goes into the mbox line input. Does the mbox have a gain and fader for the input? Leave those at 0, or at the middle (whichever applies) and never touch them again. Now, set the presonus output to 0, and read the sticky on gain staging to set your gain on the channel strip.

As a rule of thumb, set everything to 0, except for the gain, which should be set accordingly. It's not that it's bad to be at anything but 0, but for starters, well, it's a good starting point.

Yea I have it connected through the line inputs...and I tried the gain staging from this forum but it still didn't work for me

If you're getting a new interface... make sure you don't sidegrade. Then you'll really be pissed lol.

If you have a firewire connection... i really like my AudioFIre4. Great conversion for the money. great drivers. The Profire610 also is getting great reviews... supposed to be a big jump from their previous units... but i'm still kinda "ehhh" on MAudio stuff after using their products.

If it has to be USB.. the Focusrite scarlett looks pretty good. I'd start my search there. The Presonus USB units look pretty good also.

Back