Fruity Loops Phase Issue, Randomly playing Kick and Bass at random starting points.

crimsonhawk47

I have been working on getting this kick and bass in FL to thump together nicely for a long time, and after a while I realized it was a phase issue. When I fixed that, I was listening through and found I hated the kick at certain times. I thought it was the off beats, but Then it would suddenly sound bad on the down.

With the bass and the kick soloed and me constantly hitting the space bar, I realized something was taking them out of phase. Like something was being modulated, but i made the bass myself in massive with no modulation, and the kick is just battery samples.

I bounced out a wav of me playing this same downbeat back to back, which means the midi timing is the same for every kick here. I put it in edison and bounced it back onto the track then bounced that out. View attachment Bass Kick Phase Problem.mp3

A couple of notes. First of all, I'm using sidechain compression on the bass from the kick, but that should be static settings anyway. Also, I'm using a lot of plugins and vst's, but this is a fast comp and I have it set to 2048 for a buffer size. It shouldn't be an issue should it?

EDit: After edison recording just the bass, i can see the waveform is not consistent when the midi phrase is repeated. Anyone know why? I again have no modulation.

Last edited:
Maybe in fl channel settings the loop points is selected, most things in fl got that thing checked on, remember that from the fl studio 9/10 days.

^thats not the problem.
Your Buffer Size could def be the prob.... High Buffer Sizes like that is mostly for mixing(Fat Sound)... Otherwise you would be getting alot of latency...
Thats why your kicks sound off and catching the beats late(As far as recording)
128, 256 , 512 buffer sizes are substantially good for recording MIDI.
Are you Quantizing?

Check your swing settings to make sure that isn't the culprit. Also, make sure a plugin isn't introducing latency. In the past I've had third-party plugins that caused latency when they were in use.

Maybe its your plugins. Some could introduce lots of latency to the mixer track. Its called plugin delay compensation. Most daws have a automatic PDC switch. More so a problem with a lot of effects. You might need to offset the mixer track if its still not right with automatic PDC.

Take a look at this entire page for a better explanition. I couldn't link it to the top of the page. https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/mixer_trackprops.htm#Mixer_PDC

in your sound design have you got the oscillators and modulars set to synch (i.e. restart when a note is played) 9/10 this is the reason for this particular problem

Back