Frequency Range

cyptm

Hey everyone. I was wondering how you know the frequency range a particualar sound occupies.

I mean, is are there appropriate tools that show you the range in figures. How do the pros do it. How can I know what frequency range, lets say, my snare occupies.

I figured knowing this would help me be more accurate when mixing and therefor yield better results

I use reason, if that helps. Thanks!!!

You can use a spectrum analyzer plugin such as Elemental Audio's rather nice (and free) Inspector.

Remember though - never mix by numbers, use your ears. The "pros" probably have great monitoring setups and an experienced set of ears.

Frequency analyzers aside...

Just use your ears...

If you play w/ the EQ enough, you'll just start to 'know' what needs to be cut/boosted...

kid848 said:
Just use your ears...

If you play w/ the EQ enough, you'll just start to 'know' what needs to be cut/boosted...
Yes! Just use your ears. What I sometimes to do find an evasive frequency is get a parametric EQ, and set the Q on a band to as high as it'll go, and increase the gain on that band. Then sweep around until you find the freq(s) you want, and play with the width and gain until you're satisfied.

Thanks alot guys! Now I see you mention Q

I've read a little bit about this Q, but I'm still not sure of its intended use. When I play with it, i get different results. But, I want to be more consistent. So, I want to know its intended use.

THanks!

Back