Frequency dependant side chain in reason

SmallCityBlue

im trying to figure out how to duck a certain frequency in reason. like how to side chain the low mids in a sound instead of the whole sound

Turn on your compressors side chain but dont assign a bus as a trigger. Thats external side chaining. What you want is internal side chaining. Then you just select the frequencies you want to duck or compress. Every compressors layout is different though so its hard to say exactly what you need to do without knowing your compressor, but what you need to do is simple.

I dont even wanna start explaining step by step what u need to do because its so different for every compressor. So easy though I wish there was an easy way to just tell you. Its not hard, mess around with your compressor for 3 minutes and youll be able to figure it out.

What compressor do you have? Id be able to tell you how to do it just by looking at a picture of the layout actually.

I'm using just the factory reason mclass compressor.
I'm trying to duck say the... lowmids of a piano behind a kick or bass

which version of reason?

it is in the manual (page 796 and following in the reason 6.5 manual) and you need to use
a spider audio merge/splitter
split the signal so that one stereo pair goes into the compressor, the other pair goes into the eq
now adjust the mclass eq to create the freq profile for the sidechain trigger by using the solo sidechain button to hear only the sidechain signal
once done deselect solo sidechain

this will create compression path that works on all of the signal but triggered by the freqs that you want to trigger the compressor

to do a true multiband layout you would use

2 or more compressors
3 or more splitters
2 or more eq's
2 or more stereo imagers - these are essentially two-way crossovers when used correctly

your signal goes into the 1st splitter so that it is sent to the crossover and a regular compressor
crossover 1 feeds it outs to crossover 2 and the 2nd splitter
the 2nd splitter feeds an eq and a compressor as above
crossover 2's outs then feed the 3rd splitter and it is sent to the next compressor and eq similar to the above process

everything else is done as above

happy to share the combinators if you have reason 4, 6 or 6.5+ (my active versions of reason - 4 will load into 5, 6.5 will load into 7 and 8)

which version of reason?

it is in the manual (page 796 and following in the reason 6.5 manual) and you need to use
a spider audio merge/splitter
split the signal so that one stereo pair goes into the compressor, the other pair goes into the eq
now adjust the mclass eq to create the freq profile for the sidechain trigger by using the solo sidechain button to hear only the sidechain signal
once done deselect solo sidechain

this will create compression path that works on all of the signal but triggered by the freqs that you want to trigger the compressor

to do a true multiband layout you would use

2 or more compressors
3 or more splitters
2 or more eq's
2 or more stereo imagers - these are essentially two-way crossovers when used correctly

your signal goes into the 1st splitter so that it is sent to the crossover and a regular compressor
crossover 1 feeds it outs to crossover 2 and the 2nd splitter
the 2nd splitter feeds an eq and a compressor as above
crossover 2's outs then feed the 3rd splitter and it is sent to the next compressor and eq similar to the above process

everything else is done as above

happy to share the combinators if you have reason 4, 6 or 6.5+ (my active versions of reason - 4 will load into 5, 6.5 will load into 7 and 8)

Theres no internal side chain where you can just turn it on and set the EQ on the compressor so the compressor only compresses the low mids?

in the ssl emulation there is a form of this

for version 6.5 it is in the manual at pages 361 and following

it effectively uses filters to S/C as the controlling factor and uses the hpf and lpf for the channel strip to shape the sidechain trigger

otherwise you have to use the method described above

Back