Free SSL Plugins

One is a halloween plug-in. One is a intersample clipping meter. One is a Listen Mic Compressor known for use on drums.

They are listed on my website.

Last edited:
According to an interview in mix mag, the mic compressor was partly to blame for the infamous drum sound in Phil Collins' 'In The Air':

"One day, Phil (Collins) was playing the drums,” Hugh recalls, “and I had the reverse talkback on because he was speaking, and then he started playing the drums. The most unbelievable sound came out because of the heavy compressor. I said, 'My God, this is the most amazing sound! Steve, listen to this.' But the way the reverse talkback was setup, you couldn't record it. So I had the desk modified that night. I got one of the maintenance guys to take the desk apart and get a split output of this compressor and feed it into a patch point on the jack field so I could then patch it into a channel on the board. From there, we were able to route that to the tape recorder."

I remember an interview that Phil Collins did on the radio where he said that he asked the engineer to give the track a warm, airy sound, and it took two weeks for them to get the whole track the way he asked.

I love reading these 'classic track' features in sound on sound and mix mag. There is some goo info in them, and makes us realise what tech we really do have, bet they would have killed for a laptop and fl studio back in the day :)

I find myself using the Listen Compressor on the Reverb aux return all the time.

I find myself using the Listen Compressor on the Reverb aux return all the time.
Good idea. I use it on drum overheads. I don't really like the sound though to be honest.

73* using it on the Reverb aux return is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back