Fml fml fml i want to kill myself rn

I just made the best beat i've ever made, shit was banging, perfect sample combinations and everything.
After I patterned out the song I decided I was on a roll so I started a new beat with all the same samples.......but when I started the new beat I forget to click "save as" and ended up overwriting the first one...kill me now

that sucks im sorry. you could probably recreate the first beat pretty close to how the original one is if you just made it not too long ago, it should be fresh in your memory

Shit sucks, but this kind of thing has probably happened in one way or another to everyone doing music at some point. You'll eventually end up with something even better, trust me.

Although you should be more careful to be honest, in this day and age, this shouldn't be possible.

I have gigs and gigs of content associated with projects but the actual project files are minuscule. It would be a trivial operation, and take hardly any space, for DAWs to keep a copy of the project every time you save.

It annoys me that Ableton is going all sales to the wind with update after update with Push and not providing something features like this. Things that would take them a week to develop and test.

I was actually thinking of writing something that detects when a file changes and takes a copy. I think the files are locked though so I don't think it would work.

Last edited:
I just made the best beat i've ever made, shit was banging, perfect sample combinations and everything.
After I patterned out the song I decided I was on a roll so I started a new beat with all the same samples.......but when I started the new beat I forget to click "save as" and ended up overwriting the first one...kill me now

Buhuhuuuu... just do it.

I think it's just helping out some wannabe producer kids who aren't thankful at all. It's a very prominent problem of this forum.

No, I am not. :D
But I don't like it if someone is just taking. I mean it doesn't hurts to tell e.g. a hardware suggestion was right or a tip or explanation was a help.

Probably his time in replying... And no doubt, taking some of his patience... Some people are helpful on this forum,.. and some have experience... some people pay thousands to learn this stuff in University.. and these people are willing to help out kids who have absolutely no idea... that might be the issue... I dunno :)

what DAW are you using?

Does it have any "auto backup" feature?

For example, Pro Tools makes auto-backups of your session... I have mine set to auto-backup every 3 minutes, so if anything goes wrong I can just go back and load a version from whatever time I want.

If i accidentally wrote a new track over my session without saving, i could just go back to the backup before that happened and open it up and everything would be there.

PT makes a folder called "session file backups".

...if you are using PT, you are in luck for sure! :)

Saving to the cloud is one option.
big harddrives are another and imo, the best option in most instances.

Replacing[or simply just upgrading] a harddrive every 5 years is also a smart thing to do.
Just press crtl+s alot after every edit and it becomes a non issue.

Saving to the cloud is one option.
big harddrives are another and imo, the best option in most instances.

Replacing[or simply just upgrading] a harddrive every 5 years is also a smart thing to do.
Just press crtl+s alot after every edit and it becomes a non issue.

That doesn't solve his problem.

He didn't run out of space.

He forgot to save a session... then wrote another track in the same session... now he wants to retrieve the old session he accidentally wrote over.

This happens, it sucks, but it does. Can you remember how to go back to the original beat you had?

Unless you changed the melodies and everything (didn't change any patterns), you should be good. If you changed the patterns, ....shit. :(

Back