FL Studio: Recording Nightmare... Assistance Needed.

HeLGeN-X

Hey all, I am going to try and make this as frank as possible. But before I do, let me state my setup:

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
FL Studio 11 Producer Edition
Audio Technica AT2035 Microphone (plugged in through XLR)
M-Audio Mobile Pre-USB Audio Interface
Yamaha HS5 Monitors

Okay, so my first problem is that whenever I plug the mic in, you can always hear yourself. I don't have monitoring on, but I tend to have always heard my voice or whatever through a recording like my MPC or whatever is hooked up. The people who record here don't want to hear themselves.

2nd thing is, I want to record voice to FL Studio while my song is playing, for some reason I can see in the peak meter that audio is coming through, but there's no actual audio being recorded when I push record... I have set up in the "In" portion in the mixer to a specific channel to use the mic, and like I said, I can see it is picking up sound, just not recording it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at various videos, and none of them has helped me yet.

In short:
1. I don't want to hear voice while recording through mic.
2. FL Studio sees mic audio coming in peak meter, but is not recording it.

Last edited:
Wow you joined in 06 and asking this! Crazy.

Anyways you go to input and select your mic there

What are you trying to record with your mic? Why would you be talking when you are recording with the mic in the same room? Clarify your question.

Yea. I record with FL Studio 11 as well and my artist hate hearing there voices lol.
Using this for reference:https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/mixer.htm

Try recording in 96Hz to catch the more spectrum of the voices(if you can)
Do not Mix & Master in 96Hz(Overload if PC no bueno:sigh:)

Make sure your recording set up is good: NO CLIPPING! 10 db highest for voice
Noise floor stays below : 50 db
Checking noise floor:Make sure for (5) You see 61 db and not forty. (double click numbers next to the db meter)
Little background noise, Nice space for recording, Vocals not too loud.

Turning off microphone monitor while recording:
1. Right click the big recording button(Make sure Audio is checked; Do not record in edison)
2. Select insert track(3) ; Change Your Input(6)
Optional: put on a light compressor for the mic
3. While having that insert track selected, look at the master track and hit the send button(18)
Done.

IMPORTANT!!!
Saving Audio Recordings in FL Studio:
1. Right Click(17)
2. Name, Make folders and be neat.

You now will not hear any playback from the microphone but be able to record it
Make sure for (5) You see 61 db (Not 40 db)
I use this same set up, different interface tho.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever had a professional mic. If I needed someones vocals, I'd go to my friends place for that, but I'm like the only one of everyone I know almost who uses FL. Also, I have Audacity and Audition if I just want to do some type of hooks or any other recordings, but I just wanted to record directly in FL so that I could edit the song on the fly while my clients and friends rap or sing over my songs.

Well, another thing is, let's say I hook up my MPC to record some drums, once again I can see the meter showing there's sound going into it, but it's not placing the wave on it all the time, which is strange.

I click record, send to piano, then click play, press some notes, and the notes don't always go into the piano roll...

Back