Few Questions about Vocal Processing - What does your Plugin Chain look like?

Sascha Urbansky

Hi guys,

i am new here and i want to start my FutureProducers Journey with a few questions about Vocal Processing.

I have got a track here with 7 singers. Each one has only provided a single sound recording file.
Normally i would record up to 7 vocal tracks with harmonies and left/right only recordings but this is not possible here.

So what plugins should i add to make the recordings sound better? Normally i only have some EQ and Compression active.

Can you give me some advice or resources about the right amount of delay and reverb and so one?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Sascha

Hey Sascha,

Do all those 7 singers have only solo parts or are those backing vocals?

I can tell you something about how I process my vocals. So I think the recording is very important. I normally don't record totally dry vocals but some people like dry vocals, just a matter of taste. About the mixing: I keep my mixes quite clean. Mostly using only a compressor and an EQ. I use quite some reverb on backing vocals and remove some of the bass in the backings. I also pan the backings a little to the side (around 15 left or right).

To get a vocal more upfront you can use a delay with a little difference between the left and the right side (like 15ms left and 10ms right, mostly 100% wet). It's not the most beautiful way but it works. I should not use to much reverb on the lead. Reverb makes a vocal sound further away and that way it is not that much upfront. A lead double works very good but it sounds like thats not possible in your case.

By the way, are there a lot of instruments in the mix? Because when you have not that much instruments it's already much easier to mix in the vocals

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Danny Yellow

Back