Fall Plugin Cleaning Time!!!

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
Time I go through my plugins and start cleaning house a little. I get tons of demos, sponsored plugs, and free plugs on my machine over the years and last night I went through to clean out all the bulk. I only kept what I couldn't live without and went with a free quality plugin whenever possible. So here is the list of everything that I have. It's nice to go through the menu's in ProTools and only see a couple of great options.

First this start with the free ones that I can't live without and do as good or better than expensive ones.

Free Plugin List:
Flux Stereo Tool (Stereo Tool)
Flux Bittersweet (Transient Designer)
TT Dynamic Range Meter (Range Meter)
iZotope Vinyl (Vinyl Emu)
Little Radiator (Analog Preamp Emu)
Amplitube 3 Custom Shop (Guitar Amp)
BX_Solo (M/S monitoring)
BX_Cleansweep (Gental Filter)
Massey Tapehead (Grit maker)
Massey L2007 (Limiter)
Massey TD5 (Tape Delay)
Massey THC (Distortion)
Massey CT5 (Opto Compressor)
Massey VT3 (Crispy Eq)
Massey DE:esser (de-esser)
DCam FreeComp (SSL Buss Compressor)

Now the pay stuff I can't live without:
Avid Tape Flanger (Flanger)
Avid Tel-Ray Delay (Delay)
TL Everyphase (Phaser)
Avid Cosmonaut Voice (Special FX)
Lexicon LXP (Reverb)
VCC (Analog Mixdesk Emu)
VTM (Analog Tapedeck Emu)
Vocalign Le (Vocal Align Tool)
Maag Eq4 (Flavor Eq)
Massenburg EQ3 (Clean Eq)
NI Vari-Comp (Tube Compressor)
NI Passive Eq (Tube Mastering Eq)
NI Enhance Eq (Tube Track Eq)
White2A (LA-2A)
Black76 (1176)

And in a whole class by themselves, the Softube Stuff I LOVE!!!
PE-1C (Pultec)
Dyna-Mite (Special Dynamics module)
CL-1b (Tube-Tech Compressor)
Trident A Range (Console Eq)
Tube Delay (Instrument Delay)
Spring Verb (Instrument Reverb)
Acoustic Feedback (Real Life Amp response)
FET Compressor (1176)

All these plugins are offered in RTAS and all sound amazing. The Softube stuff is ridiculous. The new Tube stuff from Native Instruments is by Softube as well and also sounds amazing.

Here is a list of my all time favorite VST fx that are not offered for ProTools:
D16 Group Silver Line
Audio Damage Vapor, Liquid, Fluid, and Ricochet
ApulSoft apQualizer (amazing sounding eq with FFT display and M/S mode)

I do have some duplicate usage plugins such as a few 1176 comps for example but I love the sound of all of them. If you want to start a ProTools system and only have the bare necessities then I would recommend this:

Massey Bundle (free to use, cheap to buy)
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series (Softube made, amazing quality)
All the freeware I listed.
Lexicon LXP (best reverb ever IMO)
VCC (make your mixes sound analog)
VTM (make your mixes sound more analog with tape)

That's everything you need. Smooth Compression, Hard Compression, Reverb, Stereo Tools, Mastering Limiter, Mastering Eq, Buss Compressor, Analog Saturation, Tape Delay, and De-esser. As long as you have a decent Chorus, Flanger, and Phaser you should be set.

The two plugins that are amazing sounding but kind of expensive when you need other stuff:
Massenburg Eq (probably the best clean eq I've ever heard)
TL Everyphase (best phaser I've ever heard but too much)

I hope this will help your decision making for plugin purchase. Softube is AMAZING!!! Always go with them if you can afford it. Slate Digital Is AMAZING!!! The only company that does analog as well or better than UAD or Softube. Massey is AMAZING!!! The best deal on high quality plugins period. Buy smart. IK Multimedia is great also. I just have way too many options.

---------- Post added 09-20-2012 at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-19-2012 at 02:46 AM ----------

I know it looks like a lot of plugins but when most of them are offered free and sound better than most pay plugs it's easy to have a ton. Plus I use to have over 4 times this amount. I don't believe in having every plugin on the planet though. Get a couple of great ones and learn them as well as possible.

Last edited:
Back