FabFilter EQ M/S and mixing bass music

NoBassNoFun

Hello people.

Im new in mixing. Spended a lot of hours last two weeks on watching, reading tutorials about mixing various genres music. One thing is very important to me and want to make it right, because if I do it bad, all my song on high quality sound systems will sound like trash.

Im making future/bass/deep house songs. Problem is that I want to make my bass 0-120± Hz to be in MONO and 120 Hz + to be in stereo and more wide. How I understand I can do it with Fabfilter EQ but it's hard for me to understand how corretcly do it. Maybe someone can explain me? I really used Google/Youtube but I still not 100% sure I understand that correctly. I be really glad if someone can explain me this consistently.

This is main question. There is some additional information I want to share and maybe someone will give me more advices how to mix music genres Im making.

All I can do in this situation is make two tracks of same bass, one mono other one stereo. Then on mono cut everything higher than 120Hz and on stereo cut everything below 120Hz, but I think is not the best way to do it and if I do it on one track with fabfilter it will be sound better. Or maybe Im wrong?

When I have one track with mono/stereo bass, than I can add few bass layering tracks with cut <200-250Hz and add to them some effects (maybe like S1 imager or something like that) to make bass wide and noticeable or Im wrong again?

For example now I have only mono bass in my track. Bass starts playing on chorus part on my song. Chorus part stars with Kick/Clap/Vocal/Pluck and like I said bass. After 8 bars in chorus come one more Pluck, and double vocals (one -7 other +5 pitched), everything sounds not bad and clearly, but the problem is that bass stays little bit knocked down. I know about frequency cutting and leaving space for all instruments, I done that. Also I know that I can use Fabfilter EQ dynamics to make space for instruments that are playing in same frequencies, but I dont know how to do it correctly. Maybe I need just to make dynamic band and increase db on frequencies that I want to be more noticable?

I love how bass sounds in songs like these ones:
song 1 youtube.com/watch?v=na4gGY89KUY (0.48min , is there mono or stereo bass in mid range? How I hear is like mono bass and wide stereo percussions)
few more songs:
song 2 youtube.com/watch?v=ppleZbQy6AI&t=105s
song 3 youtube.com/watch?v=1zO7XjAkLAs
song 4 youtube.com/watch?v=RlfyXGLCSBM&t=70s
song 5 youtube.com/watch?v=sBugnmrF3G8 (this song is beast)

why im adding this songs? because Im really be thankful for every comment which explains how mixing was made in this songs. I dont need 10k words clarification how it was done, I be glad just if someones writes few words like "song x, very wide bass, has reverb" or "song x bass is almost in mono, no reverb, etc."

You may ask "Man, can't you listen by yourself and understand how it sounds?" Yes, I can, the problem is that Im new in this business and for now I dont really trust in my ears, so if some person who is good at this will write their opinion then I can know do I understand it same, or I thinked absolutely different.

Im repeating again but Im really be very thankful and glad if someone's gives me more advices, not only about mixing bass but also vocals or other things how it must be done in this music genre. I know every song is different and can be made absolutely different in the same genre, but maybe there are some more golden rules like "Sub bass must be in mono". I have readed a lot about House music mixing, Low End mixing and etc. I used this information in my mix and it's really sounds much much better, clearly, without mud but also I feel that there is something missing in this space.. Like I want to make my songs more wider and punchy.. These songs I added is the aim I want to reach. Also if there is person who can spend 15minutes their time to listen to my mix and say something about it, maybe notice some mistakes or things I can improve it would be cool and I can pay some money if needed for that time.
I just have very big desire to make everything by myself, song from first note to master. I know it takes a lot time to reach that level, but Im trying.

Thanks to everyone who will share their opinions and good luck!

Im making future/bass/deep house songs. Problem is that I want to make my bass 0-120± Hz to be in MONO and 120 Hz + to be in stereo and more wide.

Izotope ozone has a multiband stereo imaging section that help you achieve this.

4_stereoimag2.png

This is a screenshot of an older version but you can get an idea how it works. you just set band 1 to the frequency range you like and drag the widening all the way down.

try to use bass rider by waves. It will clear up some differences in volume and make a bass little bit readble.

If you use Ableton there's a Utility Plugin called "Bass Mono" which is very useful. You can change the HZ cutoff to whatever you want too. I usually slap that on individual channels.

Back