Exporting a track full 24-bit samples to 16-bit

R

reddy2305

Hey guys,

Love the forum! .. I've read quite a bit over the months and finally signed up..

I've been searching for an answer to a question but I have had no luck, so I was hoping someone here could help me? :)

I understand that when you need to convert a sound or song from 24 bit to 16 bit it goes through the dithering process and gets downsampled...but what I want to know is, what happens when I have a track full of 24 bit samples and I export this whole track as 16 bit?...does the exporting process take care of the dithering or should I be converting each sample to 16 bit?..Or is there nothing to worry about? (no loss of quality or anything?)....The reason im exporting to 16bit is because I was told that this is the highest bitrate you can have when burning to CDs.... Im a bit confused with the whole bit rate thing so sorry if this sounds a bit n00bish :)

Cheers!

reddy2305 said:
what happens when I have a track full of 24 bit samples and I export this whole track as 16 bit?...does the exporting process take care of the dithering

yea pretty much, theres usually a plugin i put on my master bus that puts it at 16bit most daws have a plugin that does that

keep all the samples at 24 bit, dont dither till the very end. most daws will do it for you when you render to 16 bit. i dont know of any that doesnt.

i don't know about one app that does it automatically. you have to add dithering yourself before truncation.

Thanks for the replies guys,
So basically with Cubase I just need to Insert the Apogee UV2255 (Or whateva its called) to my Master track before mixing down and select 16-bit?

Back