Export problem

airbag76

Hi I am working on a Sonar X2 project with 24bit - 48000hz ant 100bpm tempo
(I really dont know if tempo matters cause there is no beat. its an ambient abstract piece)
From file info I can see that all files used are 16bit - 48.000hz except one which is in 24bit 48.000hz

the problem is that I realized when exporting the project in 24-48000 wav the export sounds higher in pitch!
the length of the track is ok but the pitch is higher. I tried to change the export format to higher or lower
bit rates and freq but nothing. In the end I recorded it through line out to a portable recorder (and sounds ok but
its not the right way of course)
As far as I know pitch had to with frequency and not with bits so...any ideas or ways to compensate?

thanks

Hi,

you are right the bit depth will not affect the pitch of your song when changed. What you will have to keep in mind ist when converting from a higher to a lower bit rate is to apply dither. The sampling rate on the other hand will affect the pitch of your song. It seems strange that your song is higher in pitch and the length remained the same, usually the song would be shorter if it was a sampling rate issue.
Have you tried to do a real time export (bounce the stereo output) of the track instead of exporting?

I doubt the pitch is actually altered in any way - it's just that whatever you're playing it back through probably assumes/forces it to play as if it was a "standard" 44.1Khz file, which ends up sounding higher pitched. I haven't worked with Sonar in about 10 years so no idea what kind of export options there are, but I'd assume there must be something that converts the sample rate to whatever you want...and I'm actually a little surprised that this doesn't happen by default if you select a different sample rate at export.

Or you can always just export it as it is and use a 3rd party utility like Voxengo's r8brain to do the conversion to your target rate/bit depth.

Hi guys and sorry for the mess. The reason had nothing to do with Sonar or files...My motu soundcard was in 48000 and I think that winamp and wmp play in 44100. I ve changed the
motu to 44100 and plays ok. then when I open or start a 48000 project in sonar motu goes automatically to 48000!!!
Still Sonar X2 is so hard to work with...no sample rate conversion no editor...poor and old vst. has some great features such as mixer, midi step sequencer but when you release and compete
you must be complete at least in the basic. Anyway thanks for your replies

Back