Exciter on every insert channel.

Daniel Carroll

Is it good practice to put harmonic exciting on EVERYTHING to make it pop out of the speakers. I used to just use it on leads, chords and bass but now I notice my drums sound weak compared to the other sounds maybe because it's lacking an exciter?

It's the same age old question - does it sound good?

Then again, if everything seems to need an exciter, one might question whether or not the monitoring is lacking in some respect and you're compensating with, well, exciters.

It's never a good practice to put something on everything. The exciter is a very addictive FX. The more you use it, the more you need it. The dose makes the poison. Adding just a light touch of exciter where it's needed can be good.

Last edited:
It really would depend on where the sounds are in your mix, but most probably inst a good idea, as exciters and saturation will bring out new harmonics within the sound so if you did that to every sound in the track it would become very messy, quickly. On the other hand personally when I am using exciter I tend to keep the dry/wet knob quite low, I always feel no matter how much exciting you do if your sample/synth isn't right in the mix It will sound bad anyway.

If you feel the need to add it to everything instead of adding 20 exciters or whatever, just add 1 on the master. But, yea, no. If you need that many exciters your source material is probably lacking and there's a bigger issue to tackle.

Back