eq-range adjust for wav recordings

M

Merc

ok, I had a visit with "MaryJane" today and then I decided I was going to see if I could record some spinning of mine, a set more or less sort of :D Anyways, I hooked up my mixer Master Record out (vestax pmc170a) to my line in on my soundcard but it recorded through my mic. It'll do for now, but I think I mistakenly had my line in muted. If I had it muted wouldn't cool edit have told me? If I don't next time will it record through my line in? Anyways I got this set, through my desktop mic :eek: I didn't mean to, anyways and I want to see if I can try to enhance it with a wav editor program. I've got the demo for soundforge and it says it will only allow 2 minutes playback. So I did my work through cool edit. Now I've amplified the source so it sounds a bit better but I want to scale back the base a bit and I can't find say like a frequency equilizer allowing me to be more specific. Can anyone help me out??

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Goldwave, it's got a reasonable parametric EQ function. It also does quite a good job of removing hiss from a recording.

I'm not sure if a program like CoolEdit can tell whether specific sound inputs are muted. I think that's the job of your soundcard software? I could be wrong (I was once:))

The best thing is to record a few seconds, then see if it worked ... if so then start recording again and do your whole mix.

Take it easy

I was thinking of that, but I was sure that I had it hooked up properly, I did. It's explained above :) oh well, so that's why I'd like to try to salvage the mix I've already done:) thanks for the program suggestion I'll try it out today.

well ... it's not wrongly connected.

Get your hands on a parametric EQ to surgically attack certain problems if needed. A 30 Band Equalizer and compressor should take care of the whole thing. You better find a prog which lets you preview the whole mix through the effect and let you tweak it in real time. Working with a small bit can have some rather 'unexpected' results.

Last edited:
I hooked up my mixer Master Record out (vestax pmc170a) to my line in on my soundcard

The mixer is between the tables and the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
try to grab a parametric EQ to pump up the frequencies of your choice. While recording to the computer try to do it the best u can. One of the more important things its the level of recording, boosting it afterwards (if it is dramatic) causes distortion

Back