Eminem Vocal Effect

U

Unique_Style

Does anyone know the exact techniques they used to achieve that real agressive vocal sound in Eminem's song "I am" ? I'm sure its a combination of vocal stacking and FX processing, but I'm hoping someone can get a bit more specific.

No fx, just delivery, and about 4 overdubs thats all, you cant use an effexct to make a voice sound agressive, the rapper has to do that on his own

I agree with what he said ^^^.

But Eminem has said that he does 4 dubbed vocals, one screaming, one whispering, and 2 regular. Stack them. And eq them, see what you get. Hope this helps.

theres a few things to note about the recording tho...

- his dubs are panned all over the place, not just stacked in one place (and yes, some dubs have different dynamics than others, such as his infamous whisper dubs)

- the occasional delay with the hp-filterd/harmonic-distorted effect (thats the telephone-sounding echo that comes in during a lot of his pauses)

Last edited:
vnyce said:
I agree with what he said ^^^.

But Eminem has said that he does 4 dubbed vocals, one screaming, one whispering, and 2 regular. Stack them. And eq them, see what you get. Hope this helps.

Are you saying he mixes all those together to make his songs? Thats pretty interesting because Ive always wondered why my vocals sound so weak compared to commercial albums.

I had some good rappers come over to record a demo song and it was thier first time in any decent studio and I think they were kinda nervous. They wanted a really live sound and he asked me why it wasn't sounding aggresive so I told him that he need to just perform more. Studio mics pick up everything. Even your mood. I told him to do what ever he needed to do to get excited. I ended up makin him jump around and mosh to the beat for a minute and it came out 20 times better. Dubbing will maked every thing sound fatter and nice when done right. You have to have all of your takes dead on balls and then you can pan them or whatever.

i believe its also some what of a harmony going on with the vocal. play around with different harmonies on the various vocal tracks. you can get some interesting results.

Beatmaster said:

Are you saying he mixes all those together to make his songs? Thats pretty interesting because Ive always wondered why my vocals sound so weak compared to commercial albums.

Man, after I found out what was up, I felt a whole lot better about my singing after I heard about all the tricks like pitch correcting, composite tracks, and using multiple vocal tracks.

help?

i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me no if they are aware of any other vocal techniques or recording techniques he uses. i am doing a sound production course and i am in my first year and i am doing an essay on recoring techniques used by eminem and it would be a great help if anyone would help? thanks x

Can someone explain to me what this means exactly? The one screaming one whispering and 2 regular. Does this mean he screams aggressively in one dub, then does one whispering, then two normal? Or are those effects that you are talking about?

SMH. I think in the persuit of some profound secret to recording, people manage to overlook common simplicity.

He rapped the song the way it sounds recorded. That's why it sounds the same when you hear it live.

Put on a pair of headphones and just vibe to it.

You can tell he's layered a coulple doubles over some words he wanted emphasized. He also used delay(or manually repaeated)a few words for atmospehere of the song.

There are parts where he yells, parts where he impersonates the voice of his naysayers, ect.

This is called RECORDING.

This is why it can't be done in the living room of an apartment where neigbors will knock on the wall and tell you to shut up, or your mom will bang on your door and ask you what you're doing.

There is no "trick" or "secret" to recording good vocals. It's all in the performance. And although in 2000 that was a great mix, anyone with a daw and a $200 USB mic can achieve something close to it in 2010. If they give the equivalent performance.

SMH. I think in the persuit of some profound secret to recording, people manage to overlook common simplicity.

He rapped the song the way it sounds recorded. That's why it sounds the same when you hear it live.

Put on a pair of headphones and just vibe to it.

You can tell he's layered a coulple doubles over some words he wanted emphasized. He also used delay(or manually repaeated)a few words for atmospehere of the song.

There are parts where he yells, parts where he impersonates the voice of his naysayers, ect.

This is called RECORDING.

This is why it can't be done in the living room of an apartment where neigbors will knock on the wall and tell you to shut up, or your mom will bang on your door and ask you what you're doing.

There is no "trick" or "secret" to recording good vocals. It's all in the performance. And although in 2000 that was a great mix, anyone with a daw and a $200 USB mic can achieve something close to it in 2010. If they give the equivalent performance.

Good read.
icon14.gif

I AGREE TOTALLY WITH AGRESSIVE RECORDING DURING DIFFERENT MOODS IN THE SONG RECORDING PROCESS.

ACTUALLY I HAVE A SAMPLE...FILE FAILED http://www.mocospace.com/y-kause 1ST TRACK

THIS TRACK WAS FOR A BATTLEDOME COMPETITION AND I FEALT LIKE GOIN IN

IT'S UP TO THE ARTIST TO HAVE EMOTION WHEN RECORDING. I'VE HEARD ALOTTA TALENTED PEOPLE BUT WHEN RECORDING BORING AND BLAND!

NOT GOOD WHEN TRYING TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS

Just put some power in your delivery and record multiple tracks. You'll find that your later overdubs will sound better than your first couple, which you will then scrap entirely. Don't be afraid to go loud - dude was right about studio mics picking up your mood.

Well man he doesent sound aggressive all the time?
So how the hell does he do that? Just to sound so good at one part, and then directly different on the other?

I have a great idea if you want to hear what recording techniques are used why not go listen to some acapellas?

I mean it's not like there isn't plenty of Eminem acapellas on youtube.

I hate to sound like a dick but is this stuff really that hard to figure out?

I'm always interested in how they overlay different pitches of his voice over each other, especially in his new song, Not Afraid...

SMH at following too hard to lead.

Word of advice, FP. All these threads from Kanye being a sampling genius to Jay Elec being some type of lyrical genius to now Eminem Adlibs? You guys aren't persuing music at all. You're fans.

No offense, but if you got off your knees in front of these dudes for 5 seconds, you'd realize they're doing nothing special. Nothing that shouldn't be acheivable by even novice musicians in their field. It's just that you guys are too starstruck to realize it. Pretty sad actually. You won't reach your own potential thinking these guys are mythical gods. Dude does some growls on a track and you act like he turning water into wine. Get in a real studio where you can project like you want without neighbors or parents complaining and it will come to you in 5 seconds.

I knew that back when my neighbors and parent would complain, so me and my friends got live anyway.

I agree.. I used to live with my grandparents and my songs sounded alright then I moved out got my own spot.. Now I can be myself 100% without worrying about pissing off my grandfather lol... Its really all just having a set of balls, some confidence, and doing the damn thing

Back