Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eminem Vocal Effect

Thanks

Eminem Vocal Effect

Sign in to disable this ad
    Does anyone know the exact techniques they used to achieve that real agressive vocal sound in Eminem's song "I am" ? I'm sure its a combination of vocal stacking and FX processing, but I'm hoping someone can get a bit more specific.

Thanks
    No fx, just delivery, and about 4 overdubs thats all, you cant use an effexct to make a voice sound agressive, the rapper has to do that on his own
    Gear List
    MO6 Mpc-1000 2 Technique 1200's Mbox pro 2
    Protools, 2 Event 20/20 Moniters 2 Tr 5 Monitors, 2 Yamaha Monitors, Triton Expanded, Yamaha 24 track digital recorder, Mpc 4000, an iMac and a floor full of records.

If you can support this! http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the...ct/id346684243

Thanks
    I agree with what he said ^^^.

But Eminem has said that he does 4 dubbed vocals, one screaming, one whispering, and 2 regular. Stack them. And eq them, see what you get. Hope this helps.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=188219

Thanks
    theres a few things to note about the recording tho...

- his dubs are panned all over the place, not just stacked in one place (and yes, some dubs have different dynamics than others, such as his infamous whisper dubs)

- the occasional delay with the hp-filterd/harmonic-distorted effect (thats the telephone-sounding echo that comes in during a lot of his pauses)
    Last edited by 2nice; 03-18-2006 at 08:11 AM.
    Producer of "Poison" et al by Shahmen. Next project is hip-hop from Colombia.

Thanks
    Originally posted by vnyce
    I agree with what he said ^^^.

But Eminem has said that he does 4 dubbed vocals, one screaming, one whispering, and 2 regular. Stack them. And eq them, see what you get. Hope this helps.
    Are you saying he mixes all those together to make his songs? Thats pretty interesting because Ive always wondered why my vocals sound so weak compared to commercial albums.

Thanks
    I had some good rappers come over to record a demo song and it was thier first time in any decent studio and I think they were kinda nervous. They wanted a really live sound and he asked me why it wasn't sounding aggresive so I told him that he need to just perform more. Studio mics pick up everything. Even your mood. I told him to do what ever he needed to do to get excited. I ended up makin him jump around and mosh to the beat for a minute and it came out 20 times better. Dubbing will maked every thing sound fatter and nice when done right. You have to have all of your takes dead on balls and then you can pan them or whatever.
    Macbook Pro i7, Digi 002R, JBL LSR4328, CL7602 mic pre, SM7b, GT66, ProTools 10, Reason 5.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Morning_Star For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i believe its also some what of a harmony going on with the vocal. play around with different harmonies on the various vocal tracks. you can get some interesting results.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Beatmaster

Are you saying he mixes all those together to make his songs? Thats pretty interesting because Ive always wondered why my vocals sound so weak compared to commercial albums.
    Man, after I found out what was up, I felt a whole lot better about my singing after I heard about all the tricks like pitch correcting, composite tracks, and using multiple vocal tracks.
    Business Consulting
    Terry D. Miller, MBA

Thanks

help?

i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me no if they are aware of any other vocal techniques or recording techniques he uses. i am doing a sound production course and i am in my first year and i am doing an essay on recoring techniques used by eminem and it would be a great help if anyone would help? thanks x

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vnyce View Post
    Can someone explain to me what this means exactly? The one screaming one whispering and 2 regular. Does this mean he screams aggressively in one dub, then does one whispering, then two normal? Or are those effects that you are talking about?

Thread Information