dynamic EQ vs. multiband Compressor

john_kms

I only use a multiband compressor in a mastering chain,
..some people would use it on vocals..

when do you use it and in which cases would you
prefer a dynamic EQ over a multiband compressor?

thank you!

A multiband compressor will really squash the dynamics of a sound, it's good for tightening things up in the mix (supersaws, etc.) Dynamic EQ is useful to boost frequencies that you want or to reduce frequencies you don't want. These boosts/reductions are only applied when they cross a threshold that you set, as opposed to being set in stone like with a normal EQ. I always use a MBC on my master chain but prefer to use dynamic EQ only in the mixing stages. hope this helps!

Yes, a multiband compressor is generally more of a "fixit" tool used for surgical precision on certain problem frequencies. General EQ duties should be handled by-- any decent generic graphic or parametric EQ.

GJ

I almost never use a mutli-band compressor. I feel like MB compressors are like a dinosaur because they are considerably easier to do than a dynamic EQ and predate dynamic EQs by decades. But the technology and programming experience is now there with dynamic EQs that I rarely see any reason to use a MB compressor. I find MB compressors really imprecise for "fix-it" issues. A dynamic EQ can be broad or precise, like a sledge hammer or a tiny tap, and you can zero in exactly where you need it.

dynamic EQ has more flexibility in some cases but squashing a certain band width has its place as well.
A gentle dynamic EQ can do wonders on a mix though

A multiband compressor will really squash the dynamics of a sound, it's good for tightening things up in the mix (supersaws, etc.) Dynamic EQ is useful to boost frequencies that you want or to reduce frequencies you don't want. These boosts/reductions are only applied when they cross a threshold that you set, as opposed to being set in stone like with a normal EQ. I always use a MBC on my master chain but prefer to use dynamic EQ only in the mixing stages. hope this helps!

Exactly the same answer i had in mind!

With the dynamic EQ you can pretty much target single frequencies, it's also more like an volume automater if it doesn't have attack/release. The compressor also usually introduce a change in the character of sound as well.

Back