Drumkit sounds Stereo or Mono? (24bits/44.1khz)

RE3DAProd

Working on a Drumkit right now, its almost done the only dilemma is dis : wich sounds should be Stereo & wich ones should be Mono?

Thanks in advance :)

As a thumb rule I use most drum tracks in mono. But not always.
If you want a Timbaland feel to the beat it could be right to have even the kick drum on a mono track or at least make a mono-> stereo reverb to it.
Stereolike effects on my drums are mostly made from mono tracks. If you place 2 mono claps a little from each other 25-100 samples and pan them a little left and right you get a stereo feel to it.

Unless the sample you load in is stereo, make the track mono. As a thumb rule. A hihat or percussion loop might very well be stereo. I have a mono button on my Presonus Monitor Station to quickly decide if/how much stereo tracks are while I audition them.

So, summing up the thumb rules
Mono mostly, but not for loops.
Make stereo effect from mono tracks.
But never say never; those Timbaland beats rely heavily on stereo, even on the kick on many of them.

Last edited:
It makes no difference if a sound is stereo or mono. what matters is the position of the sound in space. if you want it to be panned by default it can only be stereo. if you need it to be centred, as long as it is in the centre space it can be either. Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no difference if a sound is stereo or mono.
You wan´t a minute to think about that reply?
It matters a lot.
And mono tracks can be panned.
And keeping a mono sound in centre vs a stereo sound?
Everything with your reply is misleading/wrong and it shouldnt be as this guy is new to the mono/stereo debate and seeks help.

No offence and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
He never mentioned his sampler. It makes a difference to his mix.
Try to take a Timbaland track and make it mono. Listen to what happens to the drums.
If OP has all drums mono in his sampler and plays them on the same track, his drumkit will suck utterly.
Thats why I was taking about drum tracks in the mix instead.

Last edited:
the first post said he's working on a drum kit - not a mix :)

to be more explicit im talkin' bout a Drumkit who gonna be used by other producers it contains (808s, kicks, snares, claps, hit-hats, percs, samples, vox, fx) they can always mix those sounds on their beats like they wants by i was wondering whats the best audio config (mono or stereo) that can fit with each sounds to make them sound the good way

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

if you can post a reply like this it will be great !
808= ( you choose between stereo or mono)
Kicks=...

Thanks tho for ur replys things more clearer now :)

In such a case, if a sound is mono use mono. I take it you are not recording your own samples for the sample/kit pack? Think of the copyright of samples you are using.
You need to know if your sample is mono or stereo. A cool sounding kick that loses it´s width as a mono forced sample should be stereo.
That goes for every sound.
If you are sure its a mono sound, go mono.
If in doubt force it to mono and listen for changes, to the worst often :)
Also remember that you have pan controls within your sampler. You can drop a mono sound in and pan it.

Last edited:
the samples are usually mono as the microphones you record them with are mono, unless you have a stereo mic or stereoizer equipment in which case they will be stereo.

In the mix it doesn't really matter how the samples are, what matters is the processing on the samples. the processing can be either on a mono or stereo channel depending on what you need to do in the track.

again, if the samples are panned they need to be stereo as if you have a sample panned slightly to the right, this implies you have a left and a right channel.

No recorded sounds on the kit, just a collection of different sounds with sum sound design to it, otherwise its good to know that only the processing in the final mix matters, so i think will be mono to most of them expt sum sounds like samples what do u think?

Back